Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Dells BBQ Bash May 20-23

In the end we also decided to pass on the GAB invite and head to the Dells. Got my packet last night as well, very well done packet with lots of good info. I'd usually be little leary of all of the exit rules, but I guess we are staying Saturday night anyway so no big issue.

Looking forward to meeting some folks I haven't meet yet!

In the end we also decided to pass on the GAB invite and head to the Dells. Got my packet last night as well, very well done packet with lots of good info. I'd usually be little leary of all of the exit rules, but I guess we are staying Saturday night anyway so no big issue.

Looking forward to meeting some folks I haven't meet yet!

Yep the exit rules kinda suck :mad2: And I only live 40 miles away so I can see how some one who has to drive a ways wouldnt be happy.I was planning on gettin out of there to go to the races for a little bit but time we get out it will be half done.

If Jeff has a new pit b**ch looks like I will bringing punch. I need to take every advantage I can get. I will have my fire pit going if anyone needs to get warm stop by for hot punch and a bit of fire. Cant wait to get to this one. Lookin forward to seeing everyone. Ron I have to make it by for some coffee this time. And the exit times are BS.

Did anyone else read that part about storing each meat in a seperate container in order to prevent cross contamination?? I understand eliminating cross contamination as long as a vacuum pack is an acceptable container..

Yep the exit rules kinda suck :mad2: And I only live 40 miles away so I can see how some one who has to drive a ways wouldnt be happy.I was planning on gettin out of there to go to the races for a little bit but time we get out it will be half done.

I agree... We are looking at about a 3 1/2 hour drive back home or maybe a 1 hour drive to Cambridge, crash, then finish the trip in the morning...

I'll have to talk to my guys and see if they are thinking of sticking around with family...

My other question is who is going to watch the trailers while we are all sleeping in the hotels... I for one would not look forward to another night in the trailer...

If Jeff has a new pit b**ch looks like I will bringing punch. I need to take every advantage I can get. I will have my fire pit going if anyone needs to get warm stop by for hot punch and a bit of fire. Cant wait to get to this one. Lookin forward to seeing everyone. Ron I have to make it by for some coffee this time. And the exit times are BS.
Oh man, I forgot about that stuff (or it wiped it's self from my memory)!

Did anyone else read that part about storing each meat in a seperate container in order to prevent cross contamination?? I understand eliminating cross contamination as long as a vacuum pack is an acceptable container..
I saw that too... I'm going to drop them an email about it...

I sent Tanya an e-mail about the restrictive load out times. She claims hat their insurance company told them to do it that way because of the pedestrian traffic at the festival. She put us on the list to roll out at 7 on Saturday. Parsley lady has to work the next morning so there is no way we can wait until Sunday. If this is a problem we just won't go back again next year.

Jeff, let me know what she says about the separate containers. The bottom line is that the packet says that "The KCBS rep has the final word on any questions or issues with the meat inspection" and Mike Lake has never required that the different meats be stored in different coolers in the past, so I don't expect this time to be any different. Also, all of the health department stuff really doesn't apply to the competition meats. Of course we should follow safe food handling practices, but we're not serving that meat to the public. I'm not sure about the meat they are supposed to provide for the "Crowd Pleaser" (or whatever they called it), however.

I sent Tanya an e-mail about the restrictive load out times. She claims hat their insurance company told them to do it that way because of the pedestrian traffic at the festival. She put us on the list to roll out at 7 on Saturday. Parsley lady has to work the next morning so there is no way we can wait until Sunday. If this is a problem we just won't go back again next year.

Jeff, let me know what she says about the separate containers. The bottom line is that the packet says that "The KCBS rep has the final word on any questions or issues with the meat inspection" and Mike Lake has never required that the different meats be stored in different coolers in the past, so I don't expect this time to be any different. Also, all of the health department stuff really doesn't apply to the competition meats. Of course we should follow safe food handling practices, but we're not serving that meat to the public. I'm not sure about the meat they are supposed to provide for the "Crowd Pleaser" (or whatever they called it), however.
As soon as I hear, I'll pass it on.

OK. Here is the email exchange I had....

Subject: Dells BBQ Bash Meat Storage

Good afternoon!

I just got my packet and noticed that you are requiring us to bring 3 separate coolers for the competition meats.

I guess I'm wondering why? We have never in the past been asked to do this. In fact at Princeton I brought a separate cooler for my chicken and was told that it wasn't required. There was also no mention of this at the Rules Meeting in Philly in January, nor is it mentioned in the KCBS rules you sent.

Normally, I bring a single cooler for all of my meat. Each cut is vacuum sealed (by meat type) after trimming, the outside of my packaging is washed, and then it's frozen. Is this sufficient or do I really need to bring 3 coolers?

Thank you in advance,

Jeff Olson
Stockcar BBQ

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff,

Good Afternoon! We have asked that you,

*PLEASE KEEP THE DIFFERENT MEATS IN SEPARATE CONTAINERS, TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF BACTERIA.”​

This does not require you to use different coolers. We were asked to do this both by our meat inspectors and by our health inspectors.

Thanks,
Tanya

Thank you for your prompt response.

Just to confirm, we may bring the meat in a single cooler as long as the meats are in separate storage containers such as zip-style bags, air tight containers, or vacuum sealed bags, correct?

I'm not trying to be picky, I just don't want to show up after driving 4 hours just to be told that I can't use the meat that I brought.

Thank you again and I'm sorry if I'm being a pain.

Jeff Olson
Stockcar BBQ

Jeff,

Yes, that is fine as long as they are completely separate. For example dripping chicken juice out of a bag onto the brisket bag would not be okay.

Thanks,
Tanya

Here's another interesting restriction from an e-mail that i received today...

• What is permitted on the grounds?

• We do not allow pets, firearms, explosives, ANY alcoholic carry ins or any other items that might be dangerous.
I asked for clarification on the "alcoholic carry ins" and here is the reply...

Good Afternoon! As we are an existing restaurant with an alcohol permit, we do have different guidelines than a park or traditional festival ground. I am not planning on searching people’s property for alcohol, but we are just asking that people do not bring it with. We will have plenty for sale if people would like some!

Not that we're big partyers, but they sure are making it difficult to want to do this competition. Even comps that we have cooked in dry counties allowed teams to bring alcohol for personal consumption. They just asked that we use a "red cup".

Did you ask about coffee Ron? I am sure that one of their restaurants sells it and I would hate for you to go up against them and give away free coffee.... :crazy:

Man, The GAB is sounding beter and better. I might beat you guys home and I am about 3 1/2 hours farther away!!! :roll:

Here's another interesting restriction from an e-mail that i received today...

• What is permitted on the grounds?

• We do not allow pets, firearms, explosives, ANY alcoholic carry ins or any other items that might be dangerous.
I asked for clarification on the "alcoholic carry ins" and here is the reply...

Good Afternoon! As we are an existing restaurant with an alcohol permit, we do have different guidelines than a park or traditional festival ground. I am not planning on searching people’s property for alcohol, but we are just asking that people do not bring it with. We will have plenty for sale if people would like some!

Not that we're big partyers, but they sure are making it difficult to want to do this competition. Even comps that we have cooked in dry counties allowed teams to bring alcohol for personal consumption. They just asked that we use a "red cup".
I foresee a big red cup weekend for us!

Did you ask about coffee Ron? I am sure that one of their restaurants sells it and I would hate for you to go up against them and give away free coffee.... :crazy:

I didn't. Do you think coffee would fall under "other items that might be dangerous"? :-D

BTW, guys, the red cup comment was mine regarding other comps. This one doesn't want us to bring it in at all.

She sure is making it hard to entertain our sponsors on friday nite. Ron I think the margarita maker would fit in one of those buckets .

I'm glad I have a conflict this weekend. I'd be especially ticked about the load-out times since I don't recall them being mentioned in any of the info I received.

I think as long as one is reasonably discreet will be no problem---as long as they aren't checking the trash for cans anyway<lol>
hopefully will be ready to leave by Sunday morn--hopefully will get as far as Monks anyway!

Back