THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
Hey guys,

I have a basket fryer I keep on the counter in my outdoor kitchen, and I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the ones that has built in filtration like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/FR8000-Baske...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I figured I'd ask the Brethren Collective before I pulled the trigger. Anyone have experience with these? Is the filtering worth swapping an older non-filter fryer for?

Thanks!

I have never used one like that but, have heard a lot of good about them. We keep a cheapy on the side table of the gasser that remains in the garage. I usually just use it without filtering and just change out/clean once the oil starts to go. Doesn't take too long depending on what you cook. It's not that much oil so it's not worth the trouble to me filtering each cook like was done at a restaurant I worked at as a youngster. Of course it held a lot more oil so it was worth it. I use Walmart vegetable oil and save the container to put back the discarded oil in.

Many times I nearly bought one of those but I still didn't want one in the house. Now there are air fryers and the like, so maybe consider something like that.

However... if I was really gonna buy one, I'd buy that one. How about you buy it and tell us if it's any good.

B

Many times I nearly bought one of those but I still didn't want one in the house. Now there are air fryers and the like, so maybe consider something like that.

However... if I was really gonna buy one, I'd buy that one. How about you buy it and tell us if it's any good.

B

I'd buy a fryer too. Why would that one be the one you would buy? Have you compared them? Just curious. I'd like to fry something from time to time, but not that often. I have a nice air fryer, but have never used it, it just doesn't inspire me to get it out. lol

We’ve had that model for several years and it’s worked well. After you filter/drain the oil and a quick wipe of the remaining residue with paper towels, the container, basket and lid can go in the dishwasher. The oil storage is really convenient. We fry multiple batches of egg rolls and have never had a problem with temp or recovery time.

I have heard that the T-Fal is underpowered and recovery time between batches is highly frustrating.
Just my two cents.

This is exactly right. We bought the fryer linked above in 2015. Sold it in a garage sale a few years later.

I too have one similar to the link. Most worthless POS I have ever owned. Takes forever to get up to temp and the smallest handful of food will severely drop the temp and it takes about 15 minutes to heat back up, meaning that your food is absolutely grease soaked. Foods that were attempted to cook were okra, fries, and onion rings. Major disappointment on all three. Never attempted wings.

Was a Christmas gift and we do not eat fried foods often, so it sat for several months before I attempted to use it. Otherwise, I would have taken it back for a refund.

I have made this offer before with no takers, but if someone was willing to pay the shipping, I would gladly send it to them with the caveat that you go in with your eyes wide open and know this thing doesn't work properly.

Robert

I'm a bit puzzled over the lack of heating ability. It is 1700 watts which most home-use systems seem to be around there or ever lower @ 1500 watts. I wonder if some of the heating elements are just no good, or if all of them are no good.

I have this one. Obviously it doesn't have the filter system, but I have found that for the very few times I fry stuff, it has an excellent recovery time. The specs show 1800 Watt element.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-Stain...1&keywords=presto+fryer&qid=1623853165&sr=8-1

The one you linked says 1700 Watts, so not that much different. I have always found that you have to be careful with how much food you add to the basket so as not to overwhelm the oil temp. For instance, I could probably fit a whole bag of french fries in my fryer, but I only fill the baskets up about 1/2-3/4 of the way. I then let the oil recover before dropping the next batch.

Looks like it's time to look at a propane model from the comments. I have been watching this because I would like to get a fryer too.

btw the T-Fal in the 1st post in this thread was $130 yesterday, and just dropped to $103 today I noticed. Says 1 left in stock.

Had one just like it. Kind of small but got lots of use. It just recently stopped working after maybe 6 - 7 years.

Hey guys,

I have a basket fryer I keep on the counter in my outdoor kitchen, and I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the ones that has built in filtration like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/FR8000-Baske...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I figured I'd ask the Brethren Collective before I pulled the trigger. Anyone have experience with these? Is the filtering worth swapping an older non-filter fryer for?

Thanks!

I have this model and am still currently using it. I like it, but would like something a bit bigger if I had the room.

I haven't had any issues with reheat times, but I don't overload it either. I've had a few others like this before it without the filtration. I like this one and have come to appreciate the ease in changing or cleaning the oil.

If I had the room, I'd get something a little bigger, or entry level commercial that had a front drain. There's plenty of ways to run it thru cheesecloth or such into a 5 gal food safe bucket. I'd be able to keep a bucket for fish oil, and few other types and change them easily. While you can change the oil in this one, having the oil left in the tank below you could use something different above, but then you're back to dumping it out like the one you have now.

My general rule is buy the best I can afford for the level of job I want done, and I'm always into upgrading :biggrin1:

I have this model and am still currently using it. I like it, but would like something a bit bigger if I had the room.

I haven't had any issues with reheat times, but I don't overload it either. I've had a few others like this before it without the filtration. I like this one and have come to appreciate the ease in changing or cleaning the oil.

If I had the room, I'd get something a little bigger, or entry level commercial that had a front drain. There's plenty of ways to run it thru cheesecloth or such into a 5 gal food safe bucket. I'd be able to keep a bucket for fish oil, and few other types and change them easily. While you can change the oil in this one, having the oil left in the tank below you could use something different above, but then you're back to dumping it out like the one you have now.

My general rule is buy the best I can afford for the level of job I want done, and I'm always into upgrading :biggrin1:

Thanks for your input. Just curious, what entry level commercial units meet your criteria, that you would consider buying if you decided to pull the trigger?

Thanks for your input. Just curious, what entry level commercial units meet your criteria, that you would consider buying if you decided to pull the trigger?

I honestly don't remember. We have a store in town that has new and used equipment and I stopped in about 2 years ago. All the used stuff was way bigger than I needed, but there was a new unit I really liked. They said they'd call if they got one in used, but never heard from them and I didn't have the space to justify new. I'll swing back in and see what they have.

**Edit** Had a chance over lunch to look up their website, this was either the unit I liked or the newer version of it. It's 208/240v so it'd need a special receptacle, but the voltage will help with recovery time too. $345 new cost now.

Avantco F200

2110050.jpg

Last edited:
Back