THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chargriller said:
It did come with a ash pan but the charcoal rack sits inside of it,

Take the coal rack and turn it 90* and place it on the bottom tabs for the grill rack. A whole lot better air flow. I used 2 pieces of rebar as support and stability. Any new homesites have it laying around everywhere abou 12-18 inches in length.

Ty

"I am planning on getting a Nu-Temp here in a few weeks for my B-Day "

PM Poobah as I think he gets us a discount on the New Temps.

The firebox does not have any tab to place the grate on, that would make life so much easier if it did, I did something like that for my chargriller and it worked just great.

chargriller said:
The firebox does not have any tab to place the grate on, that would make life so much easier if it did, I did something like that for my chargriller and it worked just great.

Rob, I'll restate my suggestion from page one of this thread.

Consider putting 4 bolts thru the sides of the firebox (one at each corner, two in front, two in back) to sit the now elevated fire grate on. You can get by using the factory firegrate (as long as it lasts) this way following Ty's suggestion. This also allows the ashpan to be removeable and quite functional for getting rid of ash build-up during the cook.

That is exactly what I do in my Chargriller, but it came from the factory with holes already, I get so scared drilling into stuff, this might be one options.

Anyone know of a way to elevate with out drilling and giving clearance for the ash pan? If push comes to shove drilling the holes would not be a bad idea, but what would be a good distance?

chargriller said:
I get so scared drilling into stuff, this might be one options.

Anyone know of a way to elevate with out drilling and giving clearance for the ash pan? If push comes to shove drilling the holes would not be a bad idea, but what would be a good distance?

Keep your wrist out of the way you will be fine

chargriller said:

Is the grill grate not have tabs to adjust height like a Bandera?

Then get a piece of expanded steel, and cut to fit, but leave 3 extra inches on the front and back. Bend so the 3 extra inches form legs on 2 sides. Create a "bridged" firegrate. Ash pan should then be able to slide under.

Go to a metal fabrication shop with measurments and they can do it also.

thillin said:
Is the grill grate not have tabs to adjust height like a Bandera?

Then get a piece of expanded steel, and cut to fit, but leave 3 extra inches on the front and back. Bend so the 3 extra inches form legs on 2 sides. Create a "bridged" firegrate. Ash pan should then be able to slide under.

Go to a metal fabrication shop with measurments and they can do it also.

Ty, no tabs in the Brinkmann Firebox, the grilling grate setup is different and that's really what the tabs are for so they're omitted on the BSKD.
The bolts are simple quick fix you can do right now, a better long term solution (especially if you want to grill on the BSKD firebox) would be to order the shelf tabs from N/B Charbroil, and install them in the Brinkmann. 2 small (approx 3/16") holes for each set of tabs, 8 small holes total.

Whatever method you choose to elevate you firegrate, leave it low enough to feed the fire from the door and not the lid. Won't matter most times but when its 20* and the winds blowing 20mph while you're trying to finish a Christmas turkey or ham, you'll appreciate the BTU savings of not opening the F/B lid. 2-3" up should do nicely.

Sorry for the confusion Chargriller. That it was the same set up. Find any way you can to elevate that grate, and you'll se a huge improvement.

No trouble Thillin, thanks for the help that is what counts. :grin:

I did find some steel bolts nuts and washers and this might be the way to go for now. Only thing is that the darn charcoal grate still sits in the ash tray but that shoud be fine since I will have the grate sitting about 3 or 4 inches high. The cost is a little high I think being $4 and change per leg, but they are heavy gage, so they should with stand the heat and any type of weight.

Also found some expanded steel there also, cost about $20 for a 24x24 pice + the extra pices to reinforce that cost will go up.

chargriller said:
No trouble Thillin, thanks for the help that is what counts. :grin:

I did find some steel bolts nuts and washers and this might be the way to go for now. Only thing is that the darn charcoal grate still sits in the ash tray but that shoud be fine since I will have the grate sitting about 3 or 4 inches high. The cost is a little high I think being $4 and change per leg, but they are heavy gage, so they should with stand the heat and any type of weight.

Also found some expanded steel there also, cost about $20 for a 24x24 pice + the extra pices to reinforce that cost will go up.

Rob, the prices you found on the metal stock sound about right for a hardware store. You can find same a lot cheaper if you want to make a few phone calls. If you're busy the easy find and high price may work just fine. Try the yellow pages for welding shops or metal fabricators, shouldn't take more than a few trys to find a shop willing to deal with the public on small stuff (scrap to them).

BBQchef33 said:
Try it once. After seasoning, the outside has a thick sticky coating on it that eventually drys up, but after that, water just beads right off it, and snow dont stick to it.

That's exactly what I did cause I got tired of trying to keep paint on the firebox. A spray bottle filled with old frying oil. You just have to remember to do it after every cook or the rust comes back. I guess you could call it a redneck oil quench. :lol: I try to stay away from the hinges though cause they'll get really gummed up. I use a molybdenum spray on them.

I know you said don't reply but you'll find more on a google search than what I know. It's what we used to use on aircraft when you needed something lubed that was in a high temp area.

Nowadays, other than the bandera, I use it on spark plug threads and any other exhaust component on my vehicles. We also used a graphite based grease but I don't have that in a convenient spray can.

Back