THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I remember my grandpa and his brother rubbing the hams down with a salt and sugar mix, wrapping in cheescloth and hanging them in the smokehouse for a few days with a small fire going all the time. They also had a bunch of pork belly hung up in there too.......I know this is no help...just brought back a memory or two.

I remember my grandpa and his brother rubbing the hams down with a salt and sugar mix, wrapping in cheescloth and hanging them in the smokehouse for a few days with a small fire going all the time. They also had a bunch of pork belly hung up in there too.......I know this is no help...just brought back a memory or two.

Dry cure ham and side meat, JW. I remember my great-uncles doing this too. Always had the smokehouse going in the late fall.
No help to topic, but as JW says, this thread brings back memories.

I just ordered a brined ham from our local pork shop , not cooked yet, do i just do the standard 225-250 till it is about 140 or?

I take mine up to 160* Thats if I'm slicing and eating right a way. If I cure something like Canadian bacon (something thats going to be fried in a pan or cooked on a grill) I'll take it to 150*

Back