Curing Ham

I remember my grandpa and his brother rubbing the hams down with a salt and sugar mix, wrapping in cheescloth and hanging them in the smokehouse for a few days with a small fire going all the time. They also had a bunch of pork belly hung up in there too.......I know this is no help...just brought back a memory or two.

I remember my grandpa and his brother rubbing the hams down with a salt and sugar mix, wrapping in cheescloth and hanging them in the smokehouse for a few days with a small fire going all the time. They also had a bunch of pork belly hung up in there too.......I know this is no help...just brought back a memory or two.

Dry cure ham and side meat, JW. I remember my great-uncles doing this too. Always had the smokehouse going in the late fall.
No help to topic, but as JW says, this thread brings back memories.

I just ordered a brined ham from our local pork shop , not cooked yet, do i just do the standard 225-250 till it is about 140 or?

I take mine up to 160* Thats if I'm slicing and eating right a way. If I cure something like Canadian bacon (something thats going to be fried in a pan or cooked on a grill) I'll take it to 150*

Back