Cured meats, hot dogs etc... Is it only me?

Save the occasional forced sandwich due to time constraints or other things out of my control, I pass on processed meats and try to limit red meat consumption to once or twice a week.
So you eat more fish and chicken?

eating in general causes an overall increase risk of getting colorectal cancer! dont eat to protect your innards from cancer and i can guarantee you will die quicker from starvation!

the WHO states that eating processed meats increase the risk of getting colorectal cancer by 18%. but an 18% increase of 5.6% increases that rate to 6.6%. its not an absolute 18% risk!

smoking cigarettes increases risk of lung cancer by 2500%!

imo it should not be in the same category

also it is a correlative study, not a causation study! two completely different types of studies. also they just put out an article saying its ok to eat meat, just reduce the amount of processed meats

use your judgement on this one. your a smart guy and have helped me improve my cooking tremendously! hotdogs are filled with preservatives and chemicals that are bad for you. stay with your fresh meats and cook them how you like! just eat your veggies first and enjoy your meat later

Nope! Not just you.

As someone earlier mentioned, read the ingredients and look them up, then ask yourself why is that in there? Like the yoga mat material in most bread, why? So it has more bounce to handle shipping better. We have a general rule at our house, if it comes in a pretty package, we don't buy it. Do we buy chips or some other processed foods on occasion? Sure, it's not a religion to us, but a general rule.

I miss FRESH....easy to come by seafood!!! I got spoiled living in the Pacific North West

Yes, that definitely helps. I have a guy at the fish market that will tell me what to buy and what not to buy. With certain things, it is easy to tell, but not with everything. I have gone in when he wasn't there and asked what is fresh/recommended, and the person has said, "anything and everything" and I end up leaving with nothing.

The two biggest things avoided in my house are High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG. Don't really eat a lot of processed meat or foods. Started trying to cook fresh several years ago.

The two biggest things avoided in my house are High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG. Don't really eat a lot of processed meat or foods. Started trying to cook fresh several years ago.

Yup. HFCS is eliminated in my house. I personally don't like a lot of processed meats. I like sausages from people like Southside market or my butcher, but I'm not a fan of hot dogs.

My wife grew up in Italy, so there's a soft spot for prosciutto in our house. If that is bad for me then kill me now. It's expensive though, so we don't get it a lot.

I try to stay away from that junk as much as possible, thats why I do most of my own
grinding and buy fresh hams and buts when possible "unenhanced"

I didn't read anything about it. Sounds like just store bought cured meat?

If so, glad I do my own.

If you enjoy them, eat them.

I've enjoyed them for 64 years now, I'm not going to change any of my ways now...

I remember when they said butter was bad for you and encouraged people to eat oleo (margarine) instead. Many years later they said the margarine was worse for you than the butter.

I'm looking it as a positive... Tonight I grilled up some of the best fish I've had in my life and wouldn't have done it normally. :thumb:

I remember being told these foods were bad for you years ago...did everyone forget? This happens from time to time. A study comes out saying theres a risk to behavior and we suddenly remember how dangerous things are.

Concussions come to mind. In high school we were made well aware of the dangers but all this "new" info has everyone scared all over again.

I don't eat too many hot dogs, if I do they are the "better" ones made.
MSG, I'm allergic to it so it's been out of my diet for years.

Chicken=fowl :laugh:
Fish, not a big fan.

Bacon, sausage, beef and pork we eat these all the time. If it tastes good I eat it. If so many of these things were so bad for us how many people would make it past 20 years old?

Back