THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I guess I can't really call it lox, since steelhead is a trout and lox is made from salmon from my very basic knowledge of this sort of thing. Also, it seems like every time I have made lox I followed a much more complex recipe and procedure.

In any case, I picked up a piece of steelhead and decided to cure and cold smoke it. I went with just a simple mix of 50/50 sea salt and brown sugar, gave it a rub down and vac packed and in the fridge for 3 days.

I know I took a raw pic, and one right after trimming, but they seemed to have been deleted so we will join this in progress.

After 3 days, I removed it from the vac and gave it a rinse and put it on a rack in the fridge to dry. Next day on to the WSM for a dose of cold smoke.

Between 3 and 4 hours in the smoke, brought it in and hit it with some black pepper and back in the fridge to mellow a bit.

Took the knife to a bit of it.

Just so happened that my wife made bagels and even made a few with some diced proscuitto in them.

Went that route with some cream cheese and a little more black pepper.

Ate half and remembered we had chives growing in the sun room. :doh:

Whatever you call it, it was good, easy, and something I will do again.

OMG! AWESOME! (yes, yelling!) :peace: :tea:

I think a lot of folks don't know what Steeelhead is, but we sure do down here in Central CA. I grew up in a fly fishing family (family owned a fly shop for ~30 years). Anyhow, know the fish very well and its fantastic. A little less oil than most Salmon varieties, but awesome.

I could taste it from here - great job!!! :kiss:

1. OP - That LOOKS like candy!!!
2. OP- NO DILL????

Not sure what it tastes like...
I can answer - farking' AWESOME, you want to shove it into your gullet....
That fish looks so tasty and delicious.
just a 3 day cure, easy to do at home.
The cold smoke is the trick, you need a MES or other cold smoker.
I do mine on my UDS, it still turns out great, but more brown.

Beautiful pics!

HOLY SHHHH......MOKES!

Lox or not that is a thing of beauty. Beautifully done! Did I say I love your posts??

I am not looking to pee in anybodys wheaties....but I saw a story about a month ago warning of the Japanese tapeworm being found in quite a few Pacific N.West Salmon. Don't know which species or if it is still an ongoing concern. In the meantime...that shure looks delish.

Looks great, i want some, but wait.I'm having my own party,
Catching Walleye from the dock
Watching the waves roll off the rocks
She'll forever hold a spot inside my soul
We'd blister in the sun
We couldn't wait for night to come
To hit that sand and play some rock and roll

I love Steelhead and would trade a salmon for it most days.

You did a great job and on the homemade bagels - Over the top!

Back