Cured, Cold Smoked Steelhead

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
I guess I can't really call it lox, since steelhead is a trout and lox is made from salmon from my very basic knowledge of this sort of thing. Also, it seems like every time I have made lox I followed a much more complex recipe and procedure.

In any case, I picked up a piece of steelhead and decided to cure and cold smoke it. I went with just a simple mix of 50/50 sea salt and brown sugar, gave it a rub down and vac packed and in the fridge for 3 days.

I know I took a raw pic, and one right after trimming, but they seemed to have been deleted so we will join this in progress.

After 3 days, I removed it from the vac and gave it a rinse and put it on a rack in the fridge to dry. Next day on to the WSM for a dose of cold smoke.

Between 3 and 4 hours in the smoke, brought it in and hit it with some black pepper and back in the fridge to mellow a bit.

Took the knife to a bit of it.

Just so happened that my wife made bagels and even made a few with some diced proscuitto in them.

Went that route with some cream cheese and a little more black pepper.

Ate half and remembered we had chives growing in the sun room. :doh:

Whatever you call it, it was good, easy, and something I will do again.

OMG! AWESOME! (yes, yelling!) :peace: :tea:

I think a lot of folks don't know what Steeelhead is, but we sure do down here in Central CA. I grew up in a fly fishing family (family owned a fly shop for ~30 years). Anyhow, know the fish very well and its fantastic. A little less oil than most Salmon varieties, but awesome.

I could taste it from here - great job!!! :kiss:

1. OP - That LOOKS like candy!!!
2. OP- NO DILL????

Not sure what it tastes like...
I can answer - farking' AWESOME, you want to shove it into your gullet....
That fish looks so tasty and delicious.
just a 3 day cure, easy to do at home.
The cold smoke is the trick, you need a MES or other cold smoker.
I do mine on my UDS, it still turns out great, but more brown.

Beautiful pics!

HOLY SHHHH......MOKES!

Lox or not that is a thing of beauty. Beautifully done! Did I say I love your posts??

I am not looking to pee in anybodys wheaties....but I saw a story about a month ago warning of the Japanese tapeworm being found in quite a few Pacific N.West Salmon. Don't know which species or if it is still an ongoing concern. In the meantime...that shure looks delish.

Looks great, i want some, but wait.I'm having my own party,
Catching Walleye from the dock
Watching the waves roll off the rocks
She'll forever hold a spot inside my soul
We'd blister in the sun
We couldn't wait for night to come
To hit that sand and play some rock and roll

I love Steelhead and would trade a salmon for it most days.

You did a great job and on the homemade bagels - Over the top!

Back