THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am not a fan of all that liquid crab boil but other than that I don't see any big problems with this boil. For those who have say he did a lot of things wrong, please list them. Probably some really good things can be learned from that. Very curious to hear that

Either way, I was glad to see he did not advise you pour salt on the crawfish to "purge" them, just rinse them. Seems like 75% of the "cajuns" advise you pour salt on them even after common sense should tell you it does nothing and LSU did a study to prove it does nothing but give you more dead crawfish. The only way to "purge" them is put them in a holding tank and not feed them for a couple days. Short of that, all you can do is wash them.

I'm no expert at boiling crawfish but my .02:

1) Too much salt.

2) Not enough water in the pots.

3) Too many sides in the pots.

4) Water not boiling hot enough.

5) Sausage in the pots makes greasy crawfish.

6) Ice in the pots is bad

So undercooked, oversalted greasy crawfish could be a reason why nobody ate them. Also they are hard to peel this time of year, that could be a factor too. All those people could not kill 45# of crawfish. Either the crawfish were bad or you're friends are not crawfish eaters. I can kill 10 pounds by myself if they peel easy.

Wow, I am surprised about so much hate on the seasoning. At the end of the day, if you weren’t at the table, you probably shouldn’t comment. He may not have let it soak as long as others, so it didn’t pick up as much seasoning. The process and the seasoning turns out the end product. His process maybe perfect for the amount of seasoning he used. They tested the crawl fish at different intervals, so at the end of the day if the taste was on point, it doesn’t matter. As for the “leftovers” maybe by the end of the night it may have all been gone. We don’t know. We weren’t there and we didn’t taste anything.

To be fair, he let the "women" test. As if women can't handle heat as much as men. I am pretty sure the world record holder for hot peppers is a woman. Anyway, even the ladies said it was too salty during the test.

Either way, I was glad to see he did not advise you pour salt on the crawfish to "purge" them, just rinse them. Seems like 75% of the "cajuns" advise you pour salt on them even after common sense should tell you it does nothing and LSU did a study to prove it does nothing but give you more dead crawfish. The only way to "purge" them is put them in a holding tank and not feed them for a couple days. Short of that, all you can do is wash them.

I'm no expert at boiling crawfish but my .02:

1) Too much salt.

2) Not enough water in the pots.

3) Too many sides in the pots.

4) Water not boiling hot enough.

5) Sausage in the pots makes greasy crawfish.

6) Ice in the pots is bad

So undercooked, oversalted greasy crawfish could be a reason why nobody ate them. Also they are hard to peel this time of year, that could be a factor too. All those people could not kill 45# of crawfish. Either the crawfish were bad or you're friends are not crawfish eaters. I can kill 10 pounds by myself if they peel easy.

Excellent post RR. I used to do a couple boils a year but haven't in a while so I am a bit out of practice.

1. I probably should watch again but it didn't look like too much salt to me. I always acted on the understanding that boiling water should be as salty as seawater. In a large pot it takes a lot of salt. I thought he used a half of a containerbut Imcould be wrong. But salt is the first thing I add to the water and make sure that is right before adding anything else. I would rather have too little than too much. No coming back from that.

2. Once again I thought the water level was fine. If anything he put too much crawfish in the pot at once. Even with two pots, that is not enough water volume to do a sack and a half of bugs in one shot. At least for my comfort level. I would have done it in two batches. And old Cajun friend of my dad from Pierre Part would do a single sack in a huge washtub. It worked.

3. I agree on the sides but I am a total minimalist in those regards. I mainly eat crawfish. But it is a YouTube video so they were pulling out all of the stops here. At a normal crawfish boil there is no need for all that.

4. I agree on that as well. Really didn't notice that at first. The water needs to be boiling so hot that it should be jumping out of the pot. With as much crawfish as he added at once the rebound time would be pretty long.

5. I am not a fan of boiled sausage and don't get the point of adding it to the pot. Yeah you will get greasy shells.

6. Quite a few guys do the ice trick. I am not a fan, but mainly beacause I do multiple batches and don't want to dilute the water. What some guys do is freeze water in a couple of old milk jugs and toss that in the pot. It was explained to me once why it was a good idea but I never saw a difference. Season the water correctly and mind your times and everything should work well.

Thanks for mentioning the salt purge. that was a popular way to do it in the past.

All in all I am sure the crawfish turned out just fine. His basic technique was fine. I have seen much worse. The reason there were so much leftover was that there just wasn't a bunch of crawfish eaters there. If I was there that pile would have been much smaller

He grew up in the wrong part of Louisiana. Just ask anyone from a different part of Louisiana. :wink:

The seasoning and salt looked like a bit much compared to what I have experienced in my travels down there, not just volume, but variety as well. There was also something really weird goin on with the spices because he put in live crawfish and covered the pots, and then only 5 minutes later some of the crawfish were looking a lot like shrimp and others looked like crab! That’s some seriously funky chemistry going on in there!

But for all the criticism, he did way better than the guy with the raw crawfish, black potatoes, kimchi, and Japanese seasoning with bits of seaweed in it.

LOL. This made me chuckle.

To be fair, he let the "women" test. As if women can't handle heat as much as men. I am pretty sure the world record holder for hot peppers is a woman. Anyway, even the ladies said it was too salty during the test.

That's not what they said. They said compared to the pot they tasted previously, they second one had more flavor (including salt) and told Troy they thought he should amp up the other one to be more like it.

Excellent post RR. I used to do a couple boils a year but haven't in a while so I am a bit out of practice.

1. I probably should watch again but it didn't look like too much salt to me. I always acted on the understanding that boiling water should be as salty as seawater. In a large pot it takes a lot of salt. I thought he used a half of a containerbut Imcould be wrong. But salt is the first thing I add to the water and make sure that is right before adding anything else. I would rather have too little than too much. No coming back from that.

2. Once again I thought the water level was fine. If anything he put too much crawfish in the pot at once. Even with two pots, that is not enough water volume to do a sack and a half of bugs in one shot. At least for my comfort level. I would have done it in two batches. And old Cajun friend of my dad from Pierre Part would do a single sack in a huge washtub. It worked.

3. I agree on the sides but I am a total minimalist in those regards. I mainly eat crawfish. But it is a YouTube video so they were pulling out all of the stops here. At a normal crawfish boil there is no need for all that.

4. I agree on that as well. Really didn't notice that at first. The water needs to be boiling so hot that it should be jumping out of the pot. With as much crawfish as he added at once the rebound time would be pretty long.

5. I am not a fan of boiled sausage and don't get the point of adding it to the pot. Yeah you will get greasy shells.

6. Quite a few guys do the ice trick. I am not a fan, but mainly beacause I do multiple batches and don't want to dilute the water. What some guys do is freeze water in a couple of old milk jugs and toss that in the pot. It was explained to me once why it was a good idea but I never saw a difference. Season the water correctly and mind your times and everything should work well.

Thanks for mentioning the salt purge. that was a popular way to do it in the past.

All in all I am sure the crawfish turned out just fine. His basic technique was fine. I have seen much worse. The reason there were so much leftover was that there just wasn't a bunch of crawfish eaters there. If I was there that pile would have been much smaller

Thanks for the feedback guys. Couple of thoughts:

1) yeah it was half a salt container. He also said this was something he liked to do but everybody should do their own thing. All I can say is despite the fact that it felt like so much salt I made a joke about it, nothing came out salty. I seriously totally forgot about it.

2) Good to know.

3) Yeah, he went all out. Also people brought more stuff. He was just going with the flow.

4) Fair enough but what is the downside of this? The reason I'm asking is the crawfish was so good and though I've probably only had it 6-8 times it's hard to imagine a huge improvement.

5) My shells weren't greasy so I just asked Troy about that. We only put the sausage in one pot. The other had the crab and other seafood.

6) Yeah that makes sense. Since we only did one round I guess it didn't matter.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Couple of thoughts:

1) yeah it was half a salt container. He also said this was something he liked to do but everybody should do their own thing. All I can say is despite the fact that it felt like so much salt I made a joke about it, nothing came out salty. I seriously totally forgot about it.

2) Good to know.

3) Yeah, he went all out. Also people brought more stuff. He was just going with the flow.

4) Fair enough but what is the downside of this? The reason I'm asking is the crawfish was so good and though I've probably only had it 6-8 times it's hard to imagine a huge improvement.

5) My shells weren't greasy so I just asked Troy about that. We only put the sausage in one pot. The other had the crab and other seafood.

6) Yeah that makes sense. Since we only did one round I guess it didn't matter.

Thanks again for the feedback.

1. Half a container is not too much in my opinion. There is a lot of thick shell to get through so you have to be aggressive on the spice. As I said the water should be as salty as seawater so a half container is probably what it takes. I have some friends from LA that use actual seawater to boil blue crabs. Yeah I know.

4. Mainly recovery time. You want to get to a hard boil as quickly as possible. This is especially true with blue crabs but holds for crawfish as well.

5. Just personal preference. Some people like to add a touch of butter or oil to the boil to help loosen the peeling process so the sausage grease can help on that end. My Czech grandma used to cook high quality sausage (Weimar) in boiling water and I was never a fan. Just my preference.

Once again I thought the finished product looked great. I would have eaten to the point of iodine poisoning if I were there.

Its hard to tell by pausing the video but it looks like all the crab and shrimp were gone. I suppose they were last to go into the pot, and first to go into the bellies.

Easier for non-professionals to peel and eat, plus crab has better flavor?

Wouldn't know, my family has always been professional shell fish/crustation peelers. Crawfish always seemed the easiest to peel. Living close to MD, Blue crab has always been more of a challenge then any of the rest.

Hey Justin, please see post #34...

You’re waaaay more patient than I...

I applaud you Sir!

1. Half a container is not too much in my opinion. There is a lot of thick shell to get through so you have to be aggressive on the spice. As I said the water should be as salty as seawater so a half container is probably what it takes. I have some friends from LA that use actual seawater to boil blue crabs. Yeah I know.

4. Mainly recovery time. You want to get to a hard boil as quickly as possible. This is especially true with blue crabs but holds for crawfish as well.

5. Just personal preference. Some people like to add a touch of butter or oil to the boil to help loosen the peeling process so the sausage grease can help on that end. My Czech grandma used to cook high quality sausage (Weimar) in boiling water and I was never a fan. Just my preference.

Once again I thought the finished product looked great. I would have eaten to the point of iodine poisoning if I were there.

LOL. I love it. Thanks for the follow up.

Easier for non-professionals to peel and eat, plus crab has better flavor?

NO WAY! I like most shellfish about the same, but I would have pushed the crab and especially the shrimp to the side in this feast. Mud bugs all the way! :cheer2: Pinching tails and sucking heads is what makes those dinners so good!

Hey Justin, please see post #34...

You’re waaaay more patient than I...

I applaud you Sir!

Thanks man. I didn't get the impression he was attacking me personally but I appreciate you looking out for me.

Everybody has an opinion on how they cook their food. Often we grow up with it and it's passed down from family members and attached to fond memories as a kid. I expect people to have strong opinions.

My only issue with what he said was he drew the conclusion they didn't taste good and they were fantastic so I'm not sure how much all of that stuff really matters. Makes me wonder what really does matter at the end of the day.

Thanks man. I didn't get the impression he was attacking me personally but I appreciate you looking out for me.

Everybody has an opinion on how they cook their food. Often we grow up with it and it's passed down from family members and attached to fond memories as a kid. I expect people to have strong opinions.

Justin, I totally agree with you on this point. We either love the flavors and taste's of the food we grow up with, or hate it when we get older. One of my biggest regrets is not learning how to cook many of the dishes my mom used to make when I was a kid. Most of the time she cooked like her mother taught her and that was some of this and a touch of that.

My only issue with what he said was he drew the conclusion they didn't taste good and they were fantastic so I'm not sure how much all of that stuff really matters. Makes me wonder what really does matter at the end of the day.
I have to laugh and also take issue with how people who were not there and did not taste something can criticize it. The big thing is we all can learn from others when it comes to cooking. I would have loved to have tried some of that boil. Thanks again for posting and do not let some detractors bother you. I really like your videos.

I have to laugh and also take issue with how people who were not there and did not taste something can criticize it. The big thing is we all can learn from others when it comes to cooking. I would have loved to have tried some of that boil. Thanks again for posting and do not let some detractors bother you. I really like your videos.

Thanks man. I appreciate you chiming in. Regarding your point in the previous comment that I can't seem to get into the quote here. The whole reason Troy even started a youtube channel in the first place was to document his family's old recipes for his son after he grew up and moved out of the house. He never expected to become "a YouTube personality."

Back