Crab Stuffed Salmon and Smoky Rice

Thank you DeepSouth!

Pat :hug: ....thanks for the hug friend.

Thank you Jason!

Nice job, Patty (bet you had not heard that one in a while.) :mrgreen:

lol Joe, thanks for the laugh!! :mrgreen: Brings back some nice memories. I still miss Big Arms Terry... what a sweet, ornery guy! :becky:

I noticed the glass ( Pyrex ) and have seen others use it on UDS's and such, is there anything to be concerned with ? I've hesitant to use it over coals and live fire....

Wow. The smokey rice sounds really interesting.

I think I might try that.

I know you said you used instant rice, but have tried regular rice in the past. When you have done it previously (and obviously the rice took longer to cook and was exposed to smoke for a longer period of time) did you find it easy to over-smoke the rice or does only so much smoke absorb into the rice? My wife has a much lower tolerance for smoke than I do, so before I give it a go, I'd love to have an idea where to start re: length of time to expose the rice to smoke.

Thanks.

BTW, just the description made me hungry (right after eating too)!

Awesome crab stuffed salmon, Jeanie. You pulled it perfectly...just when it began to "weep". Bravo! :clap:

Thank you Caliking! :)

:mrgreen: Yep. There were a few good times to be had.
:mrgreen: I miss those times... back before everybody got grouchy. lol

I noticed the glass ( Pyrex ) and have seen others use it on UDS's and such, is there anything to be concerned with ? I've hesitant to use it over coals and live fire....

I feel the same as you. I won't use glass in my drum but I do in the Hasty Bake and pellet cooker. I've used it on a grill with indirect heat.
I don't feel comfy using glass around hot flames. I know some glass is rated for higher heat and direct contact with flames but I don't want to take chances. Yes I'm a wuss. lol :oops::grin:
The top shelf of my Hasty Bake is more like an oven. Thanks again...

Thank you Chicago and Bucc!! :)

Wow. The smokey rice sounds really interesting.

I think I might try that.

I know you said you used instant rice, but have tried regular rice in the past. When you have done it previously (and obviously the rice took longer to cook and was exposed to smoke for a longer period of time) did you find it easy to over-smoke the rice or does only so much smoke absorb into the rice? My wife has a much lower tolerance for smoke than I do, so before I give it a go, I'd love to have an idea where to start re: length of time to expose the rice to smoke.

Thanks.

BTW, just the description made me hungry (right after eating too)!

I've not noticed an over abundance of smoke in the rice, but I love smoked food. 15 to 20 minutes of light smoke might be enough for your Mrs.. It would be a starting place and you could "up" the exposer time if needed on the next cook. After removing the rice from the smoker, I cover with plastic wrap or a lid and let the rice sit for a few minutes before serving.
The smoke intake would also depend on what type of wood you are using.
Fruit woods will give the rice a more delicate flavor... hickory, mesquite, etc, will be more pronounced.

hmmm...not much help am I! lol
I hope you give it a try. The instant rice is easier to work with and you can add your favorite herbs to the mix to increase flavor. I smoke it uncovered and do not stir until the liquid is absorbed. Then cover and rest.

Good luck with it and Thanks!! :grin:

Geez Jeanie, for something I don't like to eat, I really want to eat that. :what:
Jason I am impressed again! Going to turn you into a seafood lover yet! lol Thanks... :grin:

Moose thank you! I'm really enjoying salmon lately. can't seem to get enough of it. :)

Thank you Juslearning! Hope it turns out well for you!

Thanks again everyone!

And you thanked everyone that replied. You are such a sweetie!!!

lol I have been told I'm too polite. lol Can't help it..that's the way I was raised. :mrgreen:
Thank you for the sweet comment.. :hug: :becky:

Back