Cowboy Ribeye in the winter rain

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
Everything seems to be shut down in the St Louis area due to the forecast of crazy ice. My son's day care was shut down today and my wife and I took the day off to have a family day.

Good news. Sam's is now stocking Cowboy Ribeyes for $8.98 a pound for choice angus, which I think is a good price considering the extra work to french the rib. Then I see one on quick sale for $7.18 per pound. So I have to do this right?

I was going to do it last night when the weather was nice but I could not get home soon enough. So, it was destined to happen today with the weather and it turned out for the best.

Seasoned it with black pepper and some season salt. This looks really nice, I hope that I don't mess it up.

I built a small KBB fire on unlit coals and put two mesquite chunks on top. The ribeye went on the opposite side of the kettle and I put the bone fire side to block the heat.

Next I prepped some potatoes. Some rubbed whole in olive oil with salt and pepper that were wrapped in foil. Others were skinned and cut up and put in a foil packet with a little olive oil, butter, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. These went over the fire.

Let it get to 125 and pulled for a 30 minute rest and let the potatoes finish. Then seared to finish. It did not look half bad.

It was a good dinner, the cut up potatoes were a little crispy, but they tasted good to me. My bride prefers medium to medium rare, so it is not what I would choose for myself. But, she is a great bride and I can definitely live with medium.

Add some red wine for the bride and me, apple juice for the 3 year old, and it was a good night. Not much left over after the end of the dinner.

Thanks for taking time to look.

Yes, please! Glad to read that you folks had a great night.

The food and vino look and sound wonderful.

Back