THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticker on the table - This thing is very difficult to get off. I have tried several ways but still have the sticky residue leftover.
Try WD40. It's amazing at the many uses you can use WD40 for other than lubricating. And yes, the residue will wash off with a little soap and water so you don't have to worry about contamination. A hairdryer will most likely work too! Good luck.

On the off chance someone does not have WD40 - cover the sticker residue in cooking oil and let it sit. Hopefully in the sun. Everything will soften up and clean up easily.

On the off chance someone does not have WD40 - cover the sticker residue in cooking oil and let it sit. Hopefully in the sun. Everything will soften up and clean up easily.

Thanks guys. I tried WD40 and vegetable oil, but maybe I didn't leave it on long enough.

I am trying my first long smoke today (8 lb pork shoulder). Wish me luck!

That must be some killer glue. Since that didn't seem to work you might try a safety razor. Anyway best of luck on on your first smoke. :thumb:

I used Dap wall joint compound. Don't ask me why I used this, it was sitting on my shelf in the garage, I didn't really feel like driving down to the hardware store and spending money so I thought I would give it a try. It said on the label, OK on metal wood and ceramic so I thought I would give it a shot. It sealed it air tight, you cant really see it if you dont look too closely. If I were to really do it right, I would go down and get a clear or black colored Dap Calk-type sealant that withstands high heat, but I wanted to save a couple bucks by using what I had on hand.

Hey, Soprano, yeah, that glue was a real pain in the ass. I believe I just took a wet wash rag and let it sit on top of the label til it got real saturated. I then just kept scrubbing it was the rag. I think I worked on it over a period of three or four days before all last bits of glue came off. I, too was not real crazy about the top chimney, I think mine seemed to be just a tad loose, so I cut a piece of black Gorilla Glue Duck tape about the same width as the felt and put it around the felt just to make it a little tighter. I was worried about these issues til I did my first low and slow, and saw how it was able to keep a constant 225-250 temp for 12+ hours. I have to say I'm happy with it. Ive had it for about 2.5 months, decided to take it apart for a good cleaning, took the firebox out. I inspected the inside ceramics real closely and saw no evidence of hairline cracks or anything. On the firebox, right under the expansion joint line, there is a hairline crack, about two inches long. It doesn't seem to be affecting the firebox in any way. However, I might think twice about taking out the firebox again, as I have read where these fireboxes break real easily, even on the Big Green Egg models. Good luck with your cooker, Keep us posted on how you like it.

Just my 2 cents on the guy that returned his grill from Costco after four years. You know, I had this microphone karioki device that my kids use for about two years. Sure, the kids and their friends probably dropped it a few times, and the chord probably got yanked more than it should have. I put it in a zip lock bag, bought it over to Costco, and asked the lady if she could look up the manufacturers phone or website, as I wasn't able to find it on my own. I told her I was looking for an authorized service center that might be able to fix it for me. She said that she did not have that info on hand, and proceeded to give me back the entire purchase price and tax. I was astounded. At the same time, was I going to refuse it? Heck no. This is what keeps me coming back to Costco. The guy was fairly harshly flamed for honering Costco's policy. Now believe me, I've seen some people abuse return policies. Years ago, The Gap had a very liberal policy on returns. I had a sister-in-law who would ware a garmet for a half year or better then return it for something new, it used to drive us nuts, but as long as this is Costco's policy, you cant fault the guy for it.

I used Dap wall joint compound. Don't ask me why I used this, it was sitting on my shelf in the garage, I didn't really feel like driving down to the hardware store and spending money so I thought I would give it a try. It said on the label, OK on metal wood and ceramic so I thought I would give it a shot. It sealed it air tight, you cant really see it if you dont look too closely. If I were to really do it right, I would go down and get a clear or black colored Dap Calk-type sealant that withstands high heat, but I wanted to save a couple bucks by using what I had on hand.

Thanks for the info.

Well, my first smoke went ok. I had some temp issues for the first half. it was all over the place. It seems to be easier to maintain 250 or above vs. lower temps. I think my issue was I was using a digital thermometer to monitor the inside temps, and it was fluctuating a bunch, so I would get nervous and adjust. I should have just left it alone, as I began to chase the temps. A few times the temp went under 200, and I had to blow into the air vent to get it started back up. Then it would spike to 300. I was using a full chimney of Royal Oak, and I spread it out all over. Should I have left it in a pile instead? The last 4 hours it stayed at 250 and didn't budge...

Last time I was in Academy they had the same deal, but only one was displayed.

Soprano: I'd take a serious look at that bottom vent. I would run a bead on heat resistant black silicone between the gap of the ceramic body and a the vent. Another owner that I chatted with on YouTube used a narrow strrip of black duct tape around the vent and says it now works perfectly. I've ran into a couple of other owners on You Tube that experienced similar issues. All say that after they seal that vent the cooker does low and slow much more constantly. You might do a YouTube search for Vision Kamado and check it out.

I took a look at my vent and didn't see any gaps. The gasket between the door and ceramic look intact. It might be worth adding some silicon around it anyway. Thanks!

I bought one, and I like it. it is the same size as a large kamado Joe. I bought there heat deflector. I use it about 3 to 4 times a week

Well, my first smoke went ok. I had some temp issues for the first half. it was all over the place. It seems to be easier to maintain 250 or above vs. lower temps. I think my issue was I was using a digital thermometer to monitor the inside temps, and it was fluctuating a bunch, so I would get nervous and adjust. I should have just left it alone, as I began to chase the temps. A few times the temp went under 200, and I had to blow into the air vent to get it started back up. Then it would spike to 300. I was using a full chimney of Royal Oak, and I spread it out all over. Should I have left it in a pile instead? The last 4 hours it stayed at 250 and didn't budge...

you may have a leaky bottom vent (like me, and many others).

Do this test, get your grill to 250. Then close all the vents, top and bottom. If the temp drops and keeps dropping then you dont have a leak. If it keeps rising then you have a leak.

I used duct tape to seal the bottom vent, but probably will use a sealant soon since after a few high heat cooks the tape is melting away.

I just bought this grill from Costco in Canada, haven't tried it yet but plan on using it for smoking, but need a heat deflector. Vision says you can use their volcanic stone for this, but no one here carries it, has anyone tried any other brand of heat deflector/diffuser that works?

I just bought this grill from Costco in Canada, haven't tried it yet but plan on using it for smoking, but need a heat deflector. Vision says you can use their volcanic stone for this, but no one here carries it, has anyone tried any other brand of heat deflector/diffuser that works?

I don't have this grill but a terracotta saucer should work ok, about 14inch or so. Wrap in foil for easy cleanup.

I am also in Canada ( St John's, NL ) and purchased this grill from Costco. I went to a local Big Green Egg dealer and purchased the BGE plate setter for the medium Egg. I originally tried the large plate setter but is wouldn't fit. I haven't tried the plate setter in an actual cooking situation, however, it appears to fit in the fire bowl just fine. I can attach a couple of photos if you would like to see it in the grill.

I have cooked on this grill several times and I am very pleased with the results. I am coming from a gas grill background and will freely admit that I have much to learn about "real BBQ"...........

Last edited:
I am also in Canada ( St John's, NL ) and purchased this grill from Costco. I went to a local Big Green Egg dealer and purchased the BGE plate setter for the medium Egg. I originally tried the large plate setter but is wouldn't fit. I haven't tried the plate setter in an actual cooking situation, however, it appears to fit in the fire bowl just fine. I can attach a couple of photos if you would like to see it in the grill.

I have cooked on this grill several times and I am very pleased with the results. I am coming from a gas grill background and will freely admit that I have much to learn about "real BBQ"...........

If you can attach a couple of photos that'll be great.

Thanks

Back