If You Love Barbecue, a 3' x 3' Hole in the Ground is all You Need

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
From Mother Earth News:

If you've ever hungered for the lipsmackin' taste of real barbecue (as opposed to the charred chops most weekend chefs whip up on their grills), perhaps it's time you considered building your own backyard barbecue pit. The back-to-basics cookers are much easier to construct than you might think, and require no fancy equipment or utensils. In fact, I actually dug my family's pit myself in the hard, rocky soil of New Hampshire!

Pit barbecuing is nothing more than the slow cooking (and wet smoking) of meat, poultry, or fish—in an airless hole—for about 16 to 20 hours until the viands are tender, juicy, and flavorful. The simplicity of this method of preparation—as well as the low cost of the basic construction—makes it an ideal, inexpensive way to feed a large crowd with truly delicious eats!

Read MORE

I think this might be an oversimplification of a ground pit. I‘ve done ground pits for whole hog & half hog cooks. There’s no doubt that the meat has an out of this world taste, but there is a bunch of work involved. Digging the pit is the easy part. Burning wood in the pit means hours of tending the fire to get a bed of coals though. Its a great method for the dedicated, but a pain in the @#$ for the average Q guy.

I think this might be an oversimplification of a ground pit. I‘ve done ground pits for whole hog & half hog cooks. There’s no doubt that the meat has an out of this world taste, but there is a bunch of work involved. Digging the pit is the easy part. Burning wood in the pit means hours of tending the fire to get a bed of coals though. Its a great method for the dedicated, but a pain in the @#$ for the average Q guy.

I would think having a helper or two would lighten the fire tending load.

I like the article. I think it is more accurate to bbq’s roots than discussing the nuances of a black or gold grade waygu brisket to put on a $4000 smoker or some other nonsense I see occasionally on BBQ programs.

Back