Contest Etiquette

I truly believe that the photo op was innocent but having a pic of johnny with his cooker that matches his bottle he wsa holding would be like snapping the Johnny Cash finger picture.....Im just sayin.

Man, I almost don't want to ask this question, but is it OK for you to know "what bottle Johnny was holding" but not OK for the OP to?

Sounds like a whole lot of misunderstanding. Like someone said, 10am is an insane time at BBQ competitions. But 10am on Sunday of the American Royal is worse. People are fried no matter how they did the day before. Sometimes what we say and what we hear are both affected. Hopefully, this is cleared up. Knowing that Sterling and Johnny had just spent 72 hours in a parking lot cooking, I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt even if I felt the approach could have been less terse. I'm not saying anyone was more wrong or more right here, but there are multiple perspectives to choose from.

The Royal is unlike any other competition. It is two monsters rolled up into one huge weekend. There are two aspects that make it unique to almost all other contests: size and "the turn". Even I had my "blockers' during key times throughout the weekend. You have so many people to visit with that it can become a distraction to actually cooking. Hopefully, we didn't offend anyone, but I can't say for sure. For the most part, people understand. "The Turn" is the other crazy part of the weekend. For those cooking both the invitational and open, closing out one contest while preparing for the next is a major challenge. To focus when you are dog tired can be a big challenge. However, "The Turn" is a significant part of the fun. There are other back to back contests out there, but none where you have 500 teams on the second day working for one of the biggest prizes in BBQ.

I love the Royal, but am glad it only comes once a year.

I HATE the back nine at the Royal! :shock:

Same here brother...there's always a flipside to every story...btw...what are you and Sterling doing in a couple of weeks? Rhana and I can use a good runner and blocker for the Jack...lol!

Ya know...what may be innocent pic snapping by fans at comps can also be mistaken for shigging by the comp team...especially when zoom lenses during turn ins are noticed...good on ya Sterling for having Johnny's back!

Hmmm...wonder if Mrs. Mista would let me go?

Man, I almost don't want to ask this question, but is it OK for you to know "what bottle Johnny was holding" but not OK for the OP to?

Yup if you took his class and he arranged for you to be placed next to him on the lot.

I am ok in that I produce Johnny's classes....Johnny cooks with us and he is a dear friend...Thats how we got the killer location that we didnt deserve! Rod Gray and Johnny pulled some strings

Ok here is my take... johnny is a cool guy. I was messing with him at Shannan last year and u guys know how I can be. He was nice and even dined a shirt for me. We all know people are going to come up and want to talk take pics and things like that. That is our version of people in the standard waving to disrupt. The fowl shot... this guy said sorry and misunderstandings happen... this could have been worce .

never been to a comp, but if any of you decide you want personal security, I can get a hold of some loaded bratwurst. I'll patrol your site in full camo face paint and cowboy boots. Nothing else. Maybe a bayonette in my mouth.
I can guarantee nobody will bother you or go anywhere near your site.

Seriously though, having never been to a competition do they allow the public to view the teams? Are there segregated areas where teams can chill w/o public talking to them?
I'd kind of think that judges should not be allowed in the cook area on turn in days, but like I said- never been to a comp so I have little idea.

Jamie just send the brats and we will be cool.

I think that when in doubt at a contest....wave. Especially during prep and turn ins....
Cooking four meats doesnt seem like a big deal.....things are never what the seem1

if someone can set up that thay can get there box on a certan table than thay should be robbing banks instead that would be easyer...

never been to a comp, but if any of you decide you want personal security, I can get a hold of some loaded bratwurst. I'll patrol your site in full camo face paint and cowboy boots. Nothing else. Maybe a bayonette in my mouth.
I can guarantee nobody will bother you or go anywhere near your site.

Seriously though, having never been to a competition do they allow the public to view the teams? Are there segregated areas where teams can chill w/o public talking to them?
I'd kind of think that judges should not be allowed in the cook area on turn in days, but like I said- never been to a comp so I have little idea.

You could always come on down to Lambs Farm and see what it's like... I understand that there are over 50+ teams this year...

You could even work security for us if you put some pants on...

Jamie just send the brats and we will be cool.

I think that when in doubt at a contest....wave. Especially during prep and turn ins....
Cooking four meats doesnt seem like a big deal.....things are never what the seem1

You cook?

Back