THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy smokes. What a day for you. Congratulations. I was going to order some rub anyway but I just decided to order more.

Amazing accomplishment Kevin, congrats!

After turn-in's did you think you cooked perfectly? Obviously the judges did.

Chris

homebbq said:
Thanks guys, words can't describe how I felt when they announced 1st place brisket... That was certainly a goal of mine (every time I competed), but never really thought it would happen.

Thanks all, its appreciated..

ique said:
Amazing accomplishment Kevin, congrats!

After turn-in's did you think you cooked perfectly? Obviously the judges did.

Chris

Hi Chris, Interesting question, I thought I had a real good cook. But, I thought I had a couple of other real good cooks this year but did not have the same scoring results (obviously). The difference? Well, I let Clara do some things she wanted to do in presentation, we have been doing the same thing for years now, it was time to change. It helped, because our presentation scores appeared higher.

The other is it was a 4 judging table contest, which to me is probably the fairest contest (besides 1 table). If the reps do their job, everyone will have to have a product on each table. When I go into a 23 or 24 team contest, I am usually pretty satisfied that the best bbq is going to win that day.

BTW I hope we get to see you again at the Jack this year. For some reason, they didn't pick us to go last year.. :-D

Kevin

First things first.
I got a chills running up my spine when they called you & Clair for first place brisket.

I very much enjoy competing and spending my weekends cooking with friends like you and Clair. I have seen the tremendous response you guys got on the BBQ Forum and you guys deserve all the attention you get.

OK back to business
I have to say I was very disappointed with the venue in Auburndale and I don’t think I will go back to the pig farm.

I can see what you are saying now that I looked at the score sheet closer.
I can relate as I felt my product was not as good as Okeechobee or Clermont but felt it might do ok and ok is what it did with fifth place overall. I won’t see you again till St. Cloud so good luck on a repeat in Jacksonville. I will be looking for a big upset in St Cloud.

Hey Jimmy,

Believe me, that whole thing took me by complete surprise...

I agree with you 100% on the venue, when I pulled in Thursday night, I just about pulled right back out.. It was a mess, it was actually George with Redneck BBQ that talked me into staying.. They need to make a lot of changes there...

I'm sorry we won't see you in Jacksonville, and I doubt very seriously I will be able to pull that off again, much less a week later.. But I will sure take the good luck wishes, those are always needed... I heard Mike may come up to Jacksonville.

homebbq said:
Hey Jimmy,

Believe me, that whole thing took me by complete surprise...

I agree with you 100% on the venue, when I pulled in Thursday night, I just about pulled right back out.. It was a mess, it was actually George with Redneck BBQ that talked me into staying.. They need to make a lot of changes there...

I'm sorry we won't see you in Jacksonville, and I doubt very seriously I will be able to pull that off again, much less a week later.. But I will sure take the good luck wishes, those are always needed... I heard Mike may come up to Jacksonville.

He says he is going if the Sub Shop doesn’t keep him home.
Have Fun
Its my 12th wedding anniversary... No qin for me this weekend

Back