Completed my first cookoff this weekend

thillin said:
Tony, you should have gave me a heads up, I would've tried to stop by.

My apologies, I thought that I had. There is an event at the end of March in Irving, please stop by then. It is a pretty amazing thing, get to observe many different techniques and learn from them as well.

I will give you a call this afternoon or tomorrow and fill you in.

Tony

tony76248 said:
One of my thoughts was that I didn't sauce my ribs because I thought it was a smoked meat comp and not a BBQ sauce comp. The judges were all Elks members for the most part. I later learned that in North TX they like there ribs sweet. Sauce from here on out....Live and learn.

As I said before, I loved my chicken, I have heard that chicken is somewhat of a crap shoot. Can anyone here give me some input on that in regards to ICBA? One thing I might do different next time is smoke them a little more for the color. I used a Mojo recipe that left the chicken moist and tender, I will share the recipe if anyone is interested.

Tony

Be carefull with the sauce, and make sure it is set before it goes into the box. More than one cook has gotten a DQ when the box is opened and the sauce is all over the foil. Some folks get creative with the term "cooked on" in the rules.

I've heard one cook say that his odds are better in Vegas than IBCA with chicken. There will be days when the nastiest, blackest, creosote coated half a bird will win. Find something that is consistent for you, that won't kill you consistently.

If you cook in West and get the chance, talk to the Wades. Their success isn't just luck.

To all. I have changed my username from Todd H. McCommas to Rumrunner. I appreciate ya'lls help so far and look forward to meeting some of you at the events. Thanks, Todd

Jorge said:
Be carefull with the sauce, and make sure it is set before it goes into the box. More than one cook has gotten a DQ when the box is opened and the sauce is all over the foil. Some folks get creative with the term "cooked on" in the rules.

I've heard one cook say that his odds are better in Vegas than IBCA with chicken. There will be days when the nastiest, blackest, creosote coated half a bird will win. Find something that is consistent for you, that won't kill you consistently.

If you cook in West and get the chance, talk to the Wades. Their success isn't just luck.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Back