Compititon Neighbors

Great thread! We've met so many wonderful teams it would be impossible to name them. The contest community is great. It would be far easier to name the teams I dislike.

I pretty much like everyone who doesn't file noise complaints against us or attempts to have us forcibly removed.:twisted:

We especially like being next to MoKan because they take some of the heat off of us. The 3AM stereo in the RV incident in Lawrence in 05 or 06 makes my Top 10 All Time BBQ Contest moments.

Like so many of you folks we appreciated the comraderie long before we knew about the Brethren. Come to think of it, why didn't any of you tell us about or invite us to become a part of the Brethren???

We especially like being next to MoKan because they take some of the heat off of us. The 3AM stereo in the RV incident in Lawrence in 05 or 06 makes my Top 10 All Time BBQ Contest moments.

Ahhh Billy Idol cranked at 3am! Nothing soothes the soul and relaxes the mind like Vital Idol... wish I could have been there to see that! :lol:

Like so many of you folks we appreciated the comraderie long before we knew about the Brethren. Come to think of it, why didn't any of you tell us about or invite us to become a part of the Brethren???

I was gonna tell you at the GAB but you guys hid out behind our van all weekend. i think you were afraid of our daughter! :lol: Or was it my mean wife? ("NO ONE is using our crapper!!!")

It is RARE that we done have a team that we have met we dont have fun being next to, gosh....

some of the good ones: 3 Ball BBQ, Jack the Ribber, BBQ 2, Smokin Leprechaun, Brothers and Sons BBQ, Bibs and ribs, Mr Bib's Ribs, Rub it til it smokes, Swine Mutiny, Mel's BBQ, Beaux Hawgs... the list could go on forever. Gotta love all the stories too... just sitting and trying to think of all the good neighbors we have had over the years... my list is well over 40 teams. Then there are all the teams that might as well be family... The BBQ community is a pretty amazing thing. Great Thread guys.

I agree with Andy. I can't recall being next to a team we didn't have fun with. One of the best and special times we had was being next to Lunchmeat at Harpoon when they won GC. It was a great time and Sully was in rare form. We also got to meet Steph from the Slabs. Did alot of beer, jello shots and cherry's at that comp. It made for a great nights sleep.

It is RARE that we done have a team that we have met we dont have fun being next to...
Same here. BBQ comps just tend to draw good folks. Easy to talk to and very helpful. I think the only time I've been miffed at a neighbor was at Yardley this Spring when our neighbor decided to fire up a weedburner at 3 or 4am. I felt like chasing him around the site with it.
We have limited experience to draw from (2 KCBS events) but the first one we were next to the Lost Nation crew who were loud and lots of fun. At New Holland we were next to Verus BBQ and Doug Anderson from Crispy Critters, cooking solo as Wine & Swine I think. I had never met Doug before but he let me know what kind of guy he was by offering us a cold beer at 10:30 Friday morning and then gave us tips all weekend. Mark and the crew at Verus were just good folk and I hope I can get that same spot next year.

Being our first year we definitely have a lot to learn. We have been luckly enough to be placed by Poobah and the Anchorman who have both been very helpful. I have to admit that everyone has been extremely nice to us. As much as I don't want to like those guys that keep whooping up on us they are actually pretty nice and helpful.

Don't EVER set up next to the MoKan Meatheads!!! :shock: Not if you want to go booze-free, have peace and quiet and be bored for 36 hours. :lol: Seriously, if not for Wayne, Bob and the guys, I wouldn't know what I have learned just by being around them. Fun guys, always helpful and serious about doing well at the same time! I'm thankful I met 'em and thankful they're friends. God forbid I was ever on their chit list! :lol:

Thanks Jeff, I imagine we would probably make the chit list of a few of our neighbors over the years but we always have fun.

Paul - we always look forward to Lawrence and being next to the Pickled Pig. We still talk about the RV incident.

We really enjoy being near Team Q - it gives Singing Bob and Fredbird something to do. :wink:

Like everyone else we have had some great neighbors at contests and learned a lot from most of them.

Who I liked being next to at a contest? At the Sedalia contest in '06 I was next to Jeff (Big Creek BBQ). Good neighbor to have. I didn't have to get my radio out cause he had some of the best tunes going and is always a hoot to visit with. Bubba and Jeff, you can't find two better fellas. You just gotta watch out for Bubba when he breaks out the sombrerro':eek: . Jeff remember when we thought Bubba was dead laying under the table? LMAO!!! Bill (LitnLoaded), was a good time at Shriner's in Columbia this year. Great Grills (Mark and Becky) is always fun! Jamey (Natural Born Grillers) and Gordon is never boring (just make sure you have peanuts):lol:
I have always had a good time with my neighbors at a contest. I don't dwell on the undesireable ones cause there has only been a small few. I just get on with my stuff and play BBQ!

We have only done one comp so far, and don't remember the guys name, but the team was smok n' sourmash. Great guy.
Smoke 'N Sourmash has been at all three comps I've been to. Not right next to us, but always nearby. They are fun, nice guys and do something exotic the night of the comp.

I dont like being next to Poohbah at a comp. He is very serious and not alot of fun

Totally not our experiance @ Harpoon, the only thing he was too serious about was Polishing the Big Wiener. Being between Vinny, Willie and the Poohbah @ Hudson Valley was total fun and educational. But if it was our first comp it could have been very distracting.

Must refrain...NOT WoodPile!!:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin:

We always seem to set up near Lost Nation Smoke Co. Rich Decker and his team have helped us out more times than I care to count. Most recently, we lost power at our site at Harpoon (Kevin shorted the piggy lights - kinda funny as the shot stood his hair on end). Rich and his team cleared a spot, plugged in our knife, and even took pictures (check www dot lostnationvt dot com). We ended up taking a first place in pork chops with their help. They are always great competitors and friends. Looking forward to the day we can repay some of the favors. Cheers to Lost Nation Smoke Company!

Mike.

Great Grills of Fire, Jeanie's Got Wood, Bibs & Ribs, Smoke on Wheels...er Kaw Valley... er HoDeDos, and of course BBQ Council

The Texas guys at the GAB with the Tito's Vodka was pretty cool, too.

Hmmm

Plowboys, Fat Boys (of Little Rock), Fast Eddy, Beam Boys, and many others. Have only had a couple bad ones. The "super secretive types".

Johny Trigg is a great neighbor his wife makes these great sausage biscuits for breakfast. Gerry King was a great neighbor in Des Moines a couple of years back, he helped us out with our hog. Always love being next to lunchmeat. Dizzy pigs are fun to hang out with. Some dude in New Holland kept tripping breakers and messing with peoples hose connections, he wasn't so great.

We have had only one bad neighbor and that was because the jerk was wasted and hitting on my wife. The last neighbor we had was great...Smoke on Wheels...good people that Andy and Kim are. We feel fortunate to have met them.

We have had only one bad neighbor and that was because the jerk was wasted and hitting on my wife. The last neighbor we had was great...Smoke on Wheels...good people that Andy and Kim are. We feel fortunate to have met them.

Hey, how was I supposed to know she was your wife?!?! :twisted:

Back