Competition trailer layout/setup help

Mjball

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Looking for a little help..well a lot of help. I am purchasing a 8.5 x 16 v-nose enclosed trailer for competing. I plan on pulling the plywood and insulating the walls and ceiling. I have searched through the forums here and seems that the "WFCO 8900 Series 600W 35A RV Battery Charger Power Center" is the way to go to save power. I don't have an RV what all should I use on the 12volt side to be the most efficient? I have a portable A/C unit and will be using folding tables for prep for right now. I need a couple of 120 outlets? Right? What else could/should I run on the 120 side? I know there are a lot of variables here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Pic's and links to products would be great also.
Thanks

Not sure what type of contest you plan to do, but most KCBS contest have power available. I don't see a need to go through the hassle convert 12v to 120v when so much power is available.

To be honest I am not following all of your questions.

For your 120v, plan your trailer layout and then the receptacles accordingly. Phone chargers, TV's, electric knife use, space heater, receptacles near sleeping area, etc are things I would think about.

If your trailer already has 12v lights from the truck, that would be sufficient for me.

What do you need the 12v for? If you plan to run 120 anyway you'll either have power available or I'd recommend bringing a generator. The only thing in my trailer that needs 12v is my ceiling fan. So I have a 110/120 to 12v transformer for that, but it's all powered by 120.

Wow! You did a great job with that build out. Thanks for posting the links also. The canopy on the back ramp looks great, is it permanently mounted to the top? Is there anything that you would have done differently?

Wow! You did a great job with that build out. Thanks for posting the links also. The canopy on the back ramp looks great, is it permanently mounted to the top? Is there anything that you would have done differently?

The canopy is permanently mounted. It's designed to be mounted to a roof rack on a car, so we had to rig up a bracket. Look up ARB awning on amazon. For that size trailer, the only thing that would've been nice was a bathroom of some sort, but it would have eaten up a lot of space. The good thing is we worked out of the trailer as we built it, so we were able to figure out the flow and location of things as we went. Plus, we laid it out full scale on the driveway using painters tape to make sure everything fit.

PS..my inbox is no longer full. :)

MjBall, don't know your budget but I do know the Yes, Dear trailer. Those guys did an amazing job on the build out. I would give a serious look at buying that thing before embarking on a build. Build cost escalate quickly.

Good point on pricing things out. After converting a 6x12 on our own, we didn't have to crunch numbers very long to see that there was no way we could do our now (8.5x18) trailer ourselves for what the factory could do it for.

I have hand

MjBall, don't know your budget but I do know the Yes, Dear trailer. Those guys did an amazing job on the build out. I would give a serious look at buying that thing before embarking on a build. Build cost escalate quickly.

It is a sweet rig. I plan on chipping away a little at a time. I'm pretty handy and better yet I have some good friends that are even handier. If I dropped some loot like that all at once, it would be YES, DEAR for a very long time.:shocked:

Back