Trailer Build Questions

fattdaddy

Found some matches.
Greetings All,

I am getting ready to build a tandem axle trailer (3500# axles) for a 250 gallon smoker. I want the trailer to be 16' x 6'. I have not done alot of trailer building so I wanted to ask some of you for your opinion on the frame material. So here are a couple options I had in mind.

Option #1: I was thinking of using either 2"x3"x11 ga. or 2"x4"x11ga. rectangle tubing for the frame, tongue and cross members. Do you think the 11ga. will be heavy enough or would I need to go up to 3/16"?

Option #2: Using 4"x4"x1/4" angle for the frame and tongue and rectangle tubing for the cross members.

Also, if anyone could help me out with the length of tongue that I would need it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on running the tongue back under the frame a couple feet.

Thanks In Advance, :clap:
Fattdaddy

They say balance is everything and it took Paul Shirley and Ross a bit ta get everything perfect on my rig. I wouldn't of known it was such a science....so I'm no help...other than, I wasn't doing anything.

-D

You are being quite adventurous if you have never built a trailer.

I'm not saying don't do it because I like to try stuff also, but do some research on the internet (other than just here!) as far as load weight vs. tongue weight that trailer should be.

Too light tongue weight you have trouble too heavy you have trouble.

Go for it!

I would buy one or have a fabricator make you one to put your cooker on.

Building a cooker is far less risk than something going down the highway.

I'd go with the 3/16 in this case but it depends on the entire design of the trailer. I'd use similar sized for cross members and tongue. Dont use angle for the tongue since it wont be rigid enough for this much weight. You could use C-channel but tubing would be better. You didnt mention the GVW of the entire trailer so that determines a lot of what you're asking here. Big Tex uses angle iron for the frame and cross-members of their "light-weight" trailers and i can attest they are well built. The 30SA is 3x3 1/4" angle and 3x4 1/4" for cross-members and is rated for 3,000lbs, single axle. I'd look at their designs for they're larger trailers and go off that.

As for length of tongue, it depends. Mock up a couple options and see what fits the best. Again, try to copy an engineered design so chances of failure are reduced.

As much as I enjoy doing steel fabrication and welding, building a trailer that size is something I would let someone who does this as a professional with experience assembling trailers. Let the fabricator know the weight of the cooker and where you want to place the cooker on the trailer. I am guessing that you will be adding work areas that will have cabinets and storage areas and possibly refrigeration units. The space these items take up is not as important as the weight they add to the payload. I would draw up a diagram for the welder to let them know what is going where and give them a general idea on what the payload items will weigh.

The total weight of the trailer as well as the weight of the constant payload helps determine how long the tongue should be. Ideally, the pressure of the end of the tongue where it hitches to the towing vehicle should be 10% of the total weight of the trailer and its load.

Two possible hazards exist when there is too much or too little tongue weight. Too much weight on the tongue will put excessive pressure on the rear end of the towing vehicle and can cause undue stress on the tongue and front of the trailer frame. Too little tongue weight will cause the trailer to sway as it travels down the road. I have first hand experience on these observations and neither of these results are something I would want to see again.

Although I feel I could probably do the trailer assembly myself and figure out how long the trailer tongue should be, probably is far from being positively sure. I know this is not what you want to hear, but I would let a professional do this part of the traveling cooking rig you want to build.

Lager,

Juggy

Back