Competition Timing (specifically Pork Butts)

Thanks for all the help and for not making me feel like an idiot. We've cooked in competitions before but after joining this site, I realize we need to step our game up and I'm trying to do that.

Can the same thing be done with brisket? I am getting ready to do my first comp and trying to do everything in a small WSM and a mini WSM.

I'm catching up on a few responses in one post. I hope it's not too confusing :-D

Vent for 10-15 minutes?

5-10 is more like it. I vent until the steam stops, but that can be different depending on the temp in the trailer.

Alright ya'll, I'm feeling better about this already. Can I hijack my own thread and start on some other basic questions about pork butt in competition I've got...

1. I've done a lot of looking around here at pics of comp boxes and I've decided I'm not turning in with a sauce. It seems too subjective to me. I am going with thumb size pieces, with a majority (or all) having bark on them.

When you guys build your boxes with pulled pork chunks in it, Do you sauce? Do you spritz? Do you count on your cooking to speak for itself? Just looking for preferences here. I know it varies comp to comp and region to region.

As mentioned, if the judges are not CBJs, sauce. If the judges are CBJs, sauce lightly.

If the judges are not CBJs, go to Yelp.com or a similar site and find the local BBQ place with the highest rating and buy their sauce.

Can the same thing be done with brisket? I am getting ready to do my first comp and trying to do everything in a small WSM and a mini WSM.

Yep. My briskets are normally out of the cooker by 9:00am for a 1:30 turn in.

that will be a challenge, but yes, brisket works the same way.

however, it has quite a bit less bulk mass than a brisket so it won't stay quite as hot for quite as long IMHO.

Ours rest in the Cambro from 9:00am-ish until 1:15 when I get the box ready for turn in and they are too hot to handle without my Black Knight gloves.

I'm catching up on a few responses in one post. I hope it's not too confusing :-D

5-10 is more like it. I vent until the steam stops, but that can be different depending on the temp in the trailer.

As mentioned, if the judges are not CBJs, sauce. If the judges are CBJs, sauce lightly.

If the judges are not CBJs, go to Yelp.com or a similar site and find the local BBQ place with the highest rating and buy their sauce.

Yep. My briskets are normally out of the cooker by 9:00am for a 1:30 turn in.

Ours rest in the Cambro from 9:00am-ish until 1:15 when I get the box ready for turn in and they are too hot to handle without my Black Knight gloves.

good points, 'specially 'bout buying sauce.

as far as brisket, i guess it would depend on the size you cook. i'm on the smaller side, heavily trimmed, AND parted for BE's. at 4 hours mine isn't quite as hot as a butt would be nor is it at 6. but i agree, still hot enough.

> As mentioned, if the judges are not CBJs, sauce. If the judges are CBJs, sauce lightly. If the judges are not CBJs, go to Yelp.com or a similar site and find the local BBQ place with the highest rating and buy their sauce.

I agree with above with a slight caveat, if CBJ's, depending on sanctioning body, lightly sauce or none, but if none present it on the side (some allow it separately).

Unsanctioned, or not CBJ's, sauce that puppy. The average Joe out there has been lead to believe "the secret is in the sauce". Dont try to change them; not at a competition...

Alright. I got my sauce mixed up last night. I'm very familiar with all the BBQ restaraunts here locally and there's no definitive local flavor... Whole Hog has the best Que, but they have 6 different sauces. Corky's and Famous Daves are probably second in popularity and I'm not using that stuff unless I doctor it beyond recognition.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give the locals a taste of the ol' BHO/TR combo.

did you blend it with something a bit more mainstream? i would consider that.

BH wins for sure, without question, but it IS potent.

I would reconsider your labor split on a two man team. I suggest that one person does the big meats (pork and brisket), and the other member does small meat (chicken and ribs). That way only one of you has to be up all night. The person with small meat has to drive home, so that big meat can sleep.

Thanks for all the help y'all. We got a 3rd place call for Pork. I can't thank y'all enough for all the help. I really think all the advice I got here made the difference.

I'm going to post a pic of the box we turned in a new thread for critique.

Porking in Public, Our team name was Big Shoes BBQ. We were in spot 40, on the north side of the park against the river wall. Right next to Backwoods BBq

Back