THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ideas above are great...here are a couple of more you might want to try in practice:

1. Put some brown sugar on your pork when you wrap it
2. Add some plain table salt right before it goes in the box (The first ting many people do when they eat is add salt)
3. Spray a 50/50 mixture of warm water and apple juice on your box right before you close it - it really makes the pork pop.

As a soon to be, new competitor, I have no idea what the money muscle is on pork. Also, are the three sauces mentioned available nationally?

The ideas above are great...here are a couple of more you might want to try in practice:

1. Put some brown sugar on your pork when you wrap it
2. Add some plain table salt right before it goes in the box (The first ting many people do when they eat is add salt)
3. Spray a 50/50 mixture of warm water and apple juice on your box right before you close it - it really makes the pork pop.

My process is very similar to yours.
1. I put some brown sugar in my inject
2. Instead of just salt I use a salty rub to finish the pork
3. I use warm water with a little sugar in it to spritz the box just before turn in

Thanks, i order a trio of sauces and will put them to the test in a couple of weeks. Doing two briskets this week-end as practice, so we will see what happens.
Still looking to solve the mystery of the money muscle.

As Todd said above there are many sauces and rubs that pair well.
And that's what I look for when doing pork, You are looking for a flavor that is an overall flavor, not a blend of different things that stand out on their own as you taste it.

Example: I don't like to have the meat have good smoke, good salt, good sweet, good spice, but then there be one individual spice or Herb that stands out when you eat it. That one item can deter from the rest of the experience.

Again we're trying to get a "TOTAL flavor of the meat", NOT "meat with some farkin good garlic".

Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tom
Are you getting good tenderness at 170?? You might try taking it further. We have a few 2nds in pork this year. Another good thread.
Cheers!
Chris

Hey Tom, ya'll did ok in pork this year.. (I've been spying on the Pickled Pig site.) We decided at the start of this year, (well, after Salisbury) that we would stop fooling around with the flavor profiles every comp. We did some testing with people at our work asking which flavor was best. came up with a concensus and stuck with it. It seemed to work out OK for us. I believe that being consistant, and working on your cooking technique is key. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Not getting too drunk helps too.:biggrin:

See ya, Chris

P.S. Not getting too drunk helps too.:biggrin:

See ya, Chris[/quote]

I dunno about that. The best finish we had last year was when everyone was passed out except me. I made up a drunken concoction, woke Matt up, and we made the best pork ever.
People say do not experiment at comps and they are probably right. We dont listen real well and have a couple trophies because of our stupidity.:p

Hey Tom
Are you getting good tenderness at 170?? You might try taking it further. We have a few 2nds in pork this year. Another good thread.
Cheers!
Chris

Chris - I foil at 170 - it comes off closer to 200. I am experimenting with slicing. I'm pulling those around 170 and it's pretty tender.

Hey Tom, ya'll did ok in pork this year.. (I've been spying on the Pickled Pig site.)

Chris - Our pork only did OK twice. :icon_frow It's all about consistancy and a good flavour profile like you said. I'm just not sure where it needs to be.

Tom

Tom, would gladly add my .02 buuuutttttttttt with our scores it wouldn't help:cry: Thanks for starting the thread:-D

Back