Coleman Water Heater (on demand)

I have had mine for around 3 years and the battery died on me. I went to the website and they have a parts replacement list but when I tried to order the battery it was unavailable. I called customer service and they said they don't stock the battery and can't order one, I argued that would make my heater useless and they said I could go online and look for one. After voicing my displeasure with that idea they gave me what is a great offer, to replace the whole unit for free if I have the recite.

I do have the recite and I may still take them up on the offer but I did find a battery online and bought that for now because I was afraid the heater would be tied up while being replaced and I would not get it back in time for a contest.

The real problem I have is, I think they should have at least had a place for me to go and buy one. Although its great they would be willing to replace the unit I find it objectionable that a company would do this for what amounts to a 9.00 battery on there dime, I could not run a business like that and survive.

The 120.00 is a great price and I am very happy with mine. I use white vinegar to clean it with and an old cooler for the water tank, the bag they send with it is a joke. The faucet it plastic and the nob can be broken easily if not use right. The only problem other than the battery is if it is a little windy the flame can blow out.

The little green cylinders of gas last me between 3 and 4 contest depending on the weather condition I guess. I have the attachment for hooking up to a larger tank but not really to concerned about using it, I just make sure I have a back up bottle. If you like hotter water then it will put out, just run the hot water back through the storage tank and it will heat it even better second time around.

Someone here said they were told to charge the battery before storage to make it last but customer service told me just the opposite, completely drain the battery running it until it goes dead. I have heard that same advice about other rechargeable battery operated equipment, to make a battery last, let it go dead every once in awhile.
Dave

Might check with Interstate Battery. They may be able to provide a replacement that is a higher quality.

BTW. I use a 5 gallon 5 day cooler. I fill it with hot water (near boiling) when I leave the house on Friday afternoon. Most of the time it's almost too hot to handle until Saturday around noon. At this point, I boil another gallon or 2 of water and add to the cooler. Work great. I just need to add a larger spigot.

I have seen the Colmans and they look great.. I went with this and everyone I spoke with loved it!
P11715581.jpg

!!
  • Enjoy hot water wherever you are with a tankless water heater
  • Camping accessory is perfect for campsites, cabins, or simply around the house
  • Camping gear ignition starts the flame only when water is running
  • No chance of overheating
  • No reservoir to deplete
  • Two 2 'D' cell battery
  • Additional benefits include: the ideal operating range is 20 to 80 PSI
  • System also works great on modified water systems such as a 12-volt pump
  • Total dimensions are 14.5 inches tall, 11.5 inches wide, 4.5 inches deep and weighs about 12 pounds
  • 37,500 BTU
  • Portable
  • 17 minute automatic safety shutoff timer
  • Includes CSA regulator for use with standard 20 lbs grill propane tank
  • Battery igniter means no electricity needed
  • On/Off shower head included
  • Garden hose adapter included
  • Outdoor use only

I have seen the Colmans and they look great.. I went with this and everyone I spoke with loved it!
P11715581.jpg

!!
  • Camping accessory is perfect for campsites, cabins, or simply around the house
  • Two 2 'D' cell battery
  • Total dimensions are 14.5 inches tall, 11.5 inches wide, 4.5 inches deep and weighs about 12 pounds
  • 37,500 BTU
  • Portable
  • Outdoor use only

What is the brand name and what did it cost?
Dave

Might check with Interstate Battery. They may be able to provide a replacement that is a higher quality.

I just bought a direct replacement for $16.00 at Interstate. It's usually not the battery that goes bad it's the A/C power adapter.

I got a replacement battery at radio shack, and I have also seen them at Lowes in the outdoor security light section.

P11715581.jpg

!!
  • Two 2 'D' cell battery
  • 37,500 BTU
  • Portable
  • Outdoor use only

I've got the same one (or very similar) and love it. http://www.productsthatsave.com/ptsl5.html

I just bought a direct replacement for $16.00 at Interstate. It's usually not the battery that goes bad it's the A/C power adapter.[/QUOTE

How can you tell if the adapter or the charger is bad I tried both and the charge light came on but would not start or make any clicking noise at all.
Dave

Just pull the battery out and take it to a batteries plus...they can test it to see if the battery can hold a charge. If you have been running it until dead and then storing it, it probably isnt going to hold a charge. If it will hold a charge then it might be the ac charger. I dont know how easy it would be to replace in the coleman. I would take out the battery first though and take it to batteries plus.

very nice... Something I will have to factor into the budget..

I looked at the Coleman before for camping but with what you all are saying I am going to stay away

Thanks for the advice

I just bought a direct replacement for $16.00 at Interstate. It's usually not the battery that goes bad it's the A/C power adapter.[/QUOTE

How can you tell if the adapter or the charger is bad I tried both and the charge light came on but would not start or make any clicking noise at all.
Dave

OK, for starters let me clarify the proper operation of a Coleman/Oster Hot Water on Demand:

The water heater is designed so that when the AC adapter is plugged in, the unit will not operate at all.

The battery must be fully charged and the AC adapter unplugged from the water heater before the water heater will operate.

The symptoms of a defective AC adapter are as follows:

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will come on.

Upon connection of the the AC adapter the "Recharging" indicator light will come on in the "Red" condition. This light will then change from to "Orange condition" and then to "Green condition" in a matter of 1-2 minutes. A green light indicates a fully charged battery.

The AC adapter is then unpluged from the wall recepticle and then unplugged from the water heater.

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will again come on with perhaps a very short duration of the unit pumping water and perhaps a short burst of the automatic propane igniter snapping away. The unit never makes hot water and stops pumping almost immediately. The unit may also behave as dead as a post with no indication what so ever that the battery is charging.

Just pull the battery out and take it to a batteries plus...they can test it to see if the battery can hold a charge. If you have been running it until dead and then storing it, it probably isnt going to hold a charge. If it will hold a charge then it might be the ac charger. I dont know how easy it would be to replace in the coleman. I would take out the battery first though and take it to batteries plus.

No Batteries Plus around here that I have ever heard of.
Dave

OK, for starters let me clarify the proper operation of a Coleman/Oster Hot Water on Demand:

The water heater is designed so that when the AC adapter is plugged in, the unit will not operate at all.

The battery must be fully charged and the AC adapter unplugged from the water heater before the water heater will operate.

The symptoms of a defective AC adapter are as follows:

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will come on.

Upon connection of the the AC adapter the "Recharging" indicator light will come on in the "Red" condition. This light will then change from to "Orange condition" and then to "Green condition" in a matter of 1-2 minutes. A green light indicates a fully charged battery.

The AC adapter is then unpluged from the wall recepticle and then unplugged from the water heater.

Turning the On/Off knob to the On position, the Red "Needs Charging" indicator light on the front of the unit will again come on with perhaps a very short duration of the unit pumping water and perhaps a short burst of the automatic propane igniter snapping away. The unit never makes hot water and stops pumping almost immediately. The unit may also behave as dead as a post with no indication what so ever that the battery is charging.

I will give this another go with the old battery first and see what happens although I am sure that is what I did. Then I will put in another one of the new battery's and see if will take a charge.
Dave

http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_locator/state/MO.aspx

guessing you live in missouri.

But I am going to quit trying to drag you to the answers though.

Columbia Mo is the closest store, I don't get that way except for an occasional eye doctor visit then I can't see for the rest of the day. Anyway it is a little over 80 miles from me, not worth the price difference between gas and the cost of a battery. I have a new battery charging as we speak.
Dave

I use an 18 gallon Rubbermade tote to transport the Coleman and use it for the resevoir. Cut a hole in the lid for the pump and usually end up refilling it once a weekend. The shower attachment is handy to have too!

I had a Zodi Camp shower heater, but its not on demand, I let a comp neighbor use it but he walked off and left it burning after he shut the water off, the thing was glowing red as I shut it off. Still worked but looked like hell! The pump failed and Zodi CS sent a new and improved one No Questions Asked!.

For those that are using the tankless heaters, what does your reservoir/pump setup consist of? A hose faucet hookup isn't going to cut it at any comps I'll ever cook?

Back