THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Alright. I lived 95% of my life south of I-10. In my mind, "Winter" is temps in the 50°-60° range. I used to Q year-round.

In 2017, I moved to the Arctic Circle (aka "Northern Virginia" or "NoVA") for work. Last year I wanted to smoke my Thanksgiving Turkey, but it was 16° outside. I ended up baking it instead. You can't defrost a turkey at 16°.

While I may not be up for manning the Shirley for hours on end in these frigid temps, I am thinking that I can run the WSM with some additional tending during the NoVA winter (essentially October - May). With practice, I may be able to thaw a pork shoulder until it probes tender.

Anyway - I am looking for tips from you "North-of-I-20" brethren in how to cook during the upcoming Ice Age. Any tips?

David

I used to live in VA, its def different cooking in the winter. Any thin wall cooker loses heat quick. You could wait for "warmer days" to cook, burn through more fuel in the cold, make a insulating blanket, or get a new cooker with insulated chamber and firebox (Be prepared to fork over the $$$$ for that)

I have smoked at 250f in -30c weather here in Canada.

Trick is to use a good insulated cooker like a ceramic Kamado. It's very versatile, but has some drawbacks too. It can grill and sear at any ambient outdoor temp with ease, it can smoke low and slow at any outdoor temp with ease too. It has low airflow when smoking so you have a different flavor profile than free flowing woodburning pit style cooking though. If you're fine with that, use good charcoal and it'll be a simple solution to your cold weather cooking (not that we'd consider 16f cold here in Canada !!!)

I haven't used my WSM in the cold yet but used my drum all last winter without any insulation. . .i found I could actually hold just as good of temps, the only drawback was I lost about 2 hrs of total cook time of the basket because of the cold. . .in a wsm this isn't as important because you can add more through the door. . .if you have an ace hardware close I'd highly suggest getting some b&b charcoal because that stuff burns much longer

Ditch the water in winter. Be aware it can get hot if you are in a windy area. So get use to keeping an eye on it until you get the hang of it.
16 is a nice warm day. Try cooking in the negatives.
Best deals in PA are in winter on meat. I love winter bbq season.

I cook/smoke yr round. I use a bit more coal. But not that much more.
I tried using a welding blanket around one of my drums. Made NO visible difference in the amount of coal used. 2 drums side by side.
I removed all the insulation from my vertical cabinet. Again, not much more fuel used at all.
The cooking process does not change really just due to cold temps. Just a bit more intake and exhaust. A few extra minutes to get up to temp.
Warm clothing. Shoveling snow. Not slipping/falling on ice when getting the hot food back to the house. :wacko:

I would say 50% of my smoking is cold weather. Buffalo NY. Previous to getting my Lonestar vic I used an 18" wsm exclusively. I found that in colder weather the temps stabalize much easier. You'll definitely want to load up the coal more on a longer cook, but other than opening your vents a little more you'll be fine! Coldest temp I smoked was -1 (prob -35 wind chill) finishing up a pastrami brisket. With vents nearly all the way open it ran a steady 225-228 for a while.

The cooking process does not change really just due to cold temps. Just a bit more intake and exhaust. A few extra minutes to get up to temp.
Warm clothing. Shoveling snow. Not slipping/falling on ice when getting the hot food back to the house. :wacko:

Exactly. My garage is not heated and it's where I spend half my winter while smoking. The stairs getting icy are much more of a concern than cooking temps.

Nobody has talked about the total benefit of cold weather smoking... ice cold beers with no refrigeration needed:clap2:

I smoke in the cold all the time. Really not different than regular smoking. Just adjust your intake to go at the temp you want and you will be good!

1Cu2Xcu.jpg

On winter days like this ^^^, my only option is using one of my Eggs. Once a ceramic pit gets up to temp, they don't care how cold it is.

They make insulated covers for a WSM, they look like a water heater blanket. Or you could make your own from a wool Army blanket. Trim it to size and either sew or use a stitching awl to attach the heavy duty velcro and you are in business.

cP8LuFz.jpg

Insulated cookers like the kamados make a big difference. I cooked a shoulder last year during a snowstorm that dropped 14 inches. Chugged along at 275 all day, no issues.

Have had success on maintaining temp with a welders blanket.

You are going to go through more fuel, especially on a windy day.

I cook all year and have used a WSM, PBC, and my Good One smokers with no issues. The cooks may take a little longer but all of these cookers are pretty much hands off so I use a remote thermometer in the meat and stay inside where it's warm.

The only way to know how it's going to go is just do it.

Not a big deal with a ceramic.

That said, I mostly opt for grilling steaks, chops or fish on the Kettle when it dips below freezing.

David,

Attached are pics of pork belly burnt ends and chicken wings cooked in St. Paul, MN on my LSG last December. Although this was a short cook, I've often cooked brisket and pork butts in the winter in Minnesota. For longer cooks, I sometimes use a Fireboard to monitor temps from the warmth of our kitchen.

If I were you, I'd put the Shirley to work. My recommendation: buy construction worker grade insulated jacket and pants (something warm and washable), and warm boots.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 61
Assassin smoker here - insulated to the nines. I have smoked in 10 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts...it didn't lose a degree that I set.

My BGE is right behind it. Once you get that ceramic mass heated, it doesn't like to give up the heat.

With any smoker in the cold, limit your lid open time........that heat escapes fast and will be hard to recover.

I'm also from Minnesota. I almost prefer Q in the winter. Nothing like smoke rolling in that cold crisp air. I use the house to block any cold nasty wind. The Big Green Egg is a work horse in all weather. I like tending a fire in the Shirley. Even if it's just a few minutes every 30-45 minutes in the middle of winter. Gets me up and out. Even if it's a short period of time. Winters can get long. Perfect excuse to fire up the smoker.

Back