Clusterfarked Steak n Taters

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So there's a goofy Clusterfarked TD going on.. It has all the specific requirements.. I think they guy who called it is probably a little :crazy: but figured I'd give it a go.. Especially because any excuse to eat ribeye is a good excuse..

Start out with my steak. I requested a 1.5" ribeye from the guy at the meat counter at my local neighborhood Jewel Osco Grocery store. I got this -

If you look closely, the entire top half of this steak is the cap (North of that vein of fat)... My favorite part!

Just shy of 2.5" Thickness requirement, check!

I trussed it up as that vein of fat looked like trouble and I hate trying to cook 2 pieces of the same steak at the same time.. I could already tell that even though this was a CAB choice steak, it was going to be mega tender,, I dry brined it with a light coat of kosher and put it in the fridge for the afternoon

Now, time for some compound butter. If you have never tried this on a steak, you should. It is AMAZING. Just a great way to finish off a great piece of meat. Started with herbs - Garlic, Parsley, Chives, Thyme, Basil.

Put the herbs in the food processor with a couple tablespoons of EVOO. Ran it for a few seconds to mix them, then added 2 sticks of softened butter, cubed up..

Rolled that out in some parchment paper and put in the fridge to firm up.

Prepped some taters for the smoker - Olive Oil S&P

Those hit the UDS around 350.

Pulled out the steak and dusted it with Salt lick

Then I started the Weber for a little indirect on the ribeye.. Steak hit the weber -

While that was getting coaxed up to temp, potatoes were getting close.. I added some Shredded Manchego cheese. Yum

I fired up the chimney for the sear. Tried something different too. I had all these little scrap chunks of maple and oak left over from furniture projects. Very dry wood. So I made about 1/3 of the chimney hardwood chunks. I knew both maple and oak burn very hot, so I was hoping for an extra hot sear.. I was not disappointed..

Steak got seared and then set aside to rest. I dumped the coals into the weber and grilled some asparagus. Then its time to eat. Compound butter was ready -

Dinner!

Thanks for lookin!

Dang it was good

Love that last sear shot bro! - That dry wood will add heat for sure!
BTW you grate is cracked :sad:

I would be on my wany but I know you ate the whole thing!

Great job!

Love that last sear shot bro! - That dry wood will add heat for sure!
BTW you grate is cracked :sad:

I would be on my wany but I know you ate the whole thing!

Great job!

:laugh: you noticed that, eh? Yea, happened this winter when I set it down in the snow after searing a steak... :doh: and you guessed correctly, that steak is history. I really like that sear shot too. I'd make it my entry photo if it weren't for all these dumb rules!

I want some of that I love a good rib eye I like that compound butter WQill have to try it Taters look good too

Thanks George!

give it a shot, you will not be disappointed. My wife was so excited I had made a batch.. I think she put 5 pats on her potato. :laugh:

Absolutely beautiful cook! The post also reads like a gourmet cooking magazine with beautiful photos. Fantastic entry!

absolutely perfect looking ribeye IMHO. That last shot with the piece of ribeye on the fork where you can literally see the juciness (Sp?) of the meat was the money shot for me.

The food looks fantastic but beyond that, you clearly know what you are doing with a camera as well. You have some outstanding shots there.

Back