Chuckie Enchiladas in the Shirley Warmer

The fun you are having with Julian is worth more than twice the price of the SF. The food is just a bonus

Great job both of you!

Julian has a shot to win this one! :clap2:

Looks awesome. And what a fun time/experience to share with your kid. Soon enough my son wants to get out there and help, but his focus isn't as good as my daughters yet and I don't want to be responsible for that 911 call...yet. I love me some Mexican food. I'm not coming out and saying my mom cheated with my buddies dad growing up, but the craving to eat Mexican food 4 days a week came from somewhere.

Those are some mighty fine looking 'chiladas' for sure, and well worth the effort put in.
Great to see the young man already has the pit swagger down, I can see a Shirley pit on a future Christmas list.

He already calls this pit "ours" as I told him someday it would be his, but I think it would be pretty cool to have Paul build me a mini for him.. Then again, A mini SF is still going to be a beast by any other standards.. Maybe I'll find him an old OK Joe on CL and cut legs short or something..

You had me at the chuckie. Loved the color. Nice cook and great memories for y'all...

Holy mother of all enchiladas.....these look absolutely fantastic! The only thing wrong is I didn't have a couple!! Excellent! The only thing missing from your young pitmaster is an ice cold root beer in his hand!!!! LOL Great cook!

^^^Y'all know this is the pepper stout beef guy, right? How cool! Love your recipe - as to zillions of other folks - I'll be checking out yer blog further!

Shaggy - great post - every bit of it!

As to the warmer - what is the heat difference between the main chamber and the warmer and is it controllable? Does the heat in the warmer come from radiant heat from the steel or is there an opening where smoke comes in or both? I'm wondering 'cause I really like how my Klose is, with its warmer opposite the firebox so I can slow smoke in that while I regular smoke in the main chamber (and grill on the firebox!) and I'm wondering if this is something that can be done on a RF cooker, 'cause I really like the looks of these SF's. Also does the top of the warmer get warm enought for pre-heating splits?

And enchiladas - yeah, love 'em - and I'd hit those all day long!

^^^Y'all know this is the pepper stout beef guy, right? How cool! Love your recipe - as to zillions of other folks - I'll be checking out yer blog further!

Shaggy - great post - every bit of it!

As to the warmer - what is the heat difference between the main chamber and the warmer and is it controllable? Does the heat in the warmer come from radiant heat from the steel or is there an opening where smoke comes in or both? I'm wondering 'cause I really like how my Klose is, with its warmer opposite the firebox so I can slow smoke in that while I regular smoke in the main chamber (and grill on the firebox!) and I'm wondering if this is something that can be done on a RF cooker, 'cause I really like the looks of these SF's. Also does the top of the warmer get warm enought for pre-heating splits?

And enchiladas - yeah, love 'em - and I'd hit those all day long!

It's super versatile Greg. You can draft straight up through a damper and out the warmer, and it becomes a stick burning vertical smoker. There's a 1/4" diffuser plate they give you as well as a thick steel drip pan (I used the drip pan as a diffuser. There's no damper to close off the main chamber except to close the stack, so you do end up heating the main chamber to about 150 while cooking straight up. The temp is about as controllable as a main chamber cook, but it's easier to get hotter.

You can use it as a warmer, with no damper open mine runs around 100-125. You can crack the damper and make the temp whatever you want.

There's also a damper from the main chamber into the warmer, so, like your klose, you draft through the main and out the warmer. Just close the main stack and open the warmer one. Want the warmer hotter just crack the vertical damper, and so on. I played with these a bit but it seems like you can get pretty good temp control in the warmer. It's a nice set up. IMO, the only thing missing is a set of rails in the FB for me to put a rack from the warmer. That would be great for reverse sears.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
^^^Great info, and could come in handy later - like after my kids are out of college :shocked:. I'd love to have a trailer rig one day and these SF's, esp. with the cabinet doors (whole hogs, ya know?), are extremely appealing. Thanks man!

Don't care about the cook to much...I know you cook good allready.
Just love the story about the boy Pheeding that pit and working that PhB door.

Thanks Shaggy!:cool:

...yeah the Phood looks good too...:wink:

Good bump.
I have to try these as well.
Good info on the dampers too. It's cool how many ways we can cook on these machines.

With our bad weather coming, I was wondering how the heat and smoke would do under a tent?

Don, I use mine under an easy up when it rains and it's fine. The white top is now brownish red, but otherwise it's fine. I haven't used it in a winter yet. I imagine fuel consumption will be a little higher

Back