THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It might be the kind of salt used. Coarser salt, like kosher, is not as dense as Morton's Table Salt. So, 1 cup of kosher is a lot less salt than 1 cup of Morton's Table Salt when you weigh it. Does Myron tell you what kind of salt he uses?

In any case, I always go light on the salt with new recipes. If it's not enough, I add more the next time I cook it, and just sprinkle a bit of salt into the juice I put in when pulling. You can always add more salt, but you can't take it out once it's in!

Morton's website has a guide to using the right amount of salt when the recipe calls for one kind but you've got the other. Bottom of the page.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt_guide/index.html#conversion_chart

"The more injection you can get in... the more flavor you'll get out." - Myron Mixon

This is the statement I was referring to. I guess it is actually true, but sometimes maybe you don't want that much "flavor." :laugh:

It might be the kind of salt used. Coarser salt, like kosher, is not as dense as Morton's Table Salt. So, 1 cup of kosher is a lot less salt than 1 cup of Morton's Table Salt when you weigh it. Does Myron tell you what kind of salt he uses?

In any case, I always go light on the salt with new recipes. If it's not enough, I add more the next time I cook it, and just sprinkle a bit of salt into the juice I put in when pulling. You can always add more salt, but you can't take it out once it's in!

Morton's website has a guide to using the right amount of salt when the recipe calls for one kind but you've got the other. Bottom of the page.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt_guide/index.html#conversion_chart

Thanks for posting that chart. I was just looking for something like that yesterday. :thumb:

Also note, there is a difference between Morton Kosher Salt and Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt. I've seen conversion charts in a couple books.

I've been to Myron's class and I also have his book and I can tell you it ain't the same. I thought the class was one of the best investments in BBQ I've ever made.

Back