Chris Lilly's Injection - Stupid Question

It might be the kind of salt used. Coarser salt, like kosher, is not as dense as Morton's Table Salt. So, 1 cup of kosher is a lot less salt than 1 cup of Morton's Table Salt when you weigh it. Does Myron tell you what kind of salt he uses?

In any case, I always go light on the salt with new recipes. If it's not enough, I add more the next time I cook it, and just sprinkle a bit of salt into the juice I put in when pulling. You can always add more salt, but you can't take it out once it's in!

Morton's website has a guide to using the right amount of salt when the recipe calls for one kind but you've got the other. Bottom of the page.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt_guide/index.html#conversion_chart

"The more injection you can get in... the more flavor you'll get out." - Myron Mixon

This is the statement I was referring to. I guess it is actually true, but sometimes maybe you don't want that much "flavor." :laugh:

It might be the kind of salt used. Coarser salt, like kosher, is not as dense as Morton's Table Salt. So, 1 cup of kosher is a lot less salt than 1 cup of Morton's Table Salt when you weigh it. Does Myron tell you what kind of salt he uses?

In any case, I always go light on the salt with new recipes. If it's not enough, I add more the next time I cook it, and just sprinkle a bit of salt into the juice I put in when pulling. You can always add more salt, but you can't take it out once it's in!

Morton's website has a guide to using the right amount of salt when the recipe calls for one kind but you've got the other. Bottom of the page.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt_guide/index.html#conversion_chart

Thanks for posting that chart. I was just looking for something like that yesterday. :thumb:

Also note, there is a difference between Morton Kosher Salt and Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt. I've seen conversion charts in a couple books.

I've been to Myron's class and I also have his book and I can tell you it ain't the same. I thought the class was one of the best investments in BBQ I've ever made.

Back