THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When they told us we had to stop using wooden backboards on the ambulance due to the possibility of creating breeding grounds for blood borne pathageons..sp? We went to plastic backboards. We could bleach the heck outta them w/o worrying about deterriorating the wood. Thats when I started using plastic cutting boards at home. Also we didnt have to make them anymore.

I have a big Boos block on the island in my kitchen, but when I want to work with meat, I use an acrylic board that my smokin hot wife got from Papmpered Chef.

I have a bunch of cutting boards and all of my favorite are the 1/2 inch or so thick white plastic (PVC I think). The one I use the most has a bunch of little suction cups on the bottom so it doesn't slide. I love it.

I only use a wooden one once in a while for really large cuts of meat. I got it a while back at Lenox. It has a ring in the center with 4 spikes so it holds the meat securely. It came with a nice carbon steel carving knife and a huge silver platter for about $50. I have bought all of them I could find and have given them as gifts.

If you have a Lenox store around look for 'em.

bbqpigskin said:
I have a big Boos block on the island in my kitchen, but when I want to work with meat, I use an acrylic board that my smokin hot wife got from Papmpered Chef.

Watch outfor acrylic and glass cutting boards. The can dull a knie quick especially glass.

more info here as well

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17986

To add to my post in said thread

I love my Boos Board but because my kitchen is not level I wound up buying a cheapy board with a moat for carving. I think a moat is great and all of those board with spikes or dimples in the middle are a waste. I wish Boos made a reversible 18 x 24 x 2 1/4 with a moat. The reversible Au Jus boards are 1 1/2".

just tossing this out here. would it be wise to use granite as a cutting board? they are finishing up my counter tops and have cut out the sink area and the stove area and i have a couple of nice size pieces of granite that i could turn into a cutting board? or would this dull my knives?

FatDaddy said:
just tossing this out here. would it be wise to use granite as a cutting board? they are finishing up my counter tops and have cut out the sink area and the stove area and i have a couple of nice size pieces of granite that i could turn into a cutting board? or would this dull my knives?

I would think that it would dull the knives, but I don't know for sure. I have a boos, love it, bought my other one from the folks below.

http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/custom.asp

That granite would be real hard on your knives. I would stick with a wood won.Just my 2 cents

FatDaddy said:

Yea, it would dull knifes. I use a sink cut out for cold stuff. Like ice cream mix ins for our little cousins. So it has uses. But its hard on knives.

Using anything harder than the steel in your knife blades on a cutting board will trash the edge quicker than you can blink. A good friend gave me his glass cutting board when he moved across country and its now history. Your cutting board must be of a very soft material, much softer than your knife blade. The cutouts would be great for candy making as a cooling medium or used as for large trivets.

Going to my room now.

My father-in-law gave us a glass cutting board backed with a print of a local MS artist. It goes with other prints we have. I use it as a workspace. Make sandwiches on it, and use it as a place setter, and place a plastic board on top to use. But it looks nice, and I can transport all the crumbs to the sink.

I'm sorry but I can't understand why anyone would make a glass cutting board. Were they not paying attention during science class??

For out first comp last August, I purchased 4 Bamboo cutting boards. They are good quality. Good size and thickness. We washed them with warm soapy water, rinsed in warm water and soaked them in the chlorine water. They worked great. No problem with the chlorine water. Here's the best part... they were each $6.00 from the Christmas Tree Shop. The same brand and packaging as those for $20 plus from Bed Bath and Beyond. Such a deal. At $6.00 a pop I am very pleased and if they need to be replaced due to damage or loss... who cares!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

My mother in law just bought her boyfriend the PCA 10". I picked it up for her i weighted around 180lbs.

thillin said:
Went by there earlier to get a bus tub cover and 1/2 pan. Going back next week without the wife to get a cleaver and another knife.

Which location did you go to? I live not too far from the Denton Drive (377) location. I have also traded at the Arlington location.

Back