THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Both Lang and Peoria Cookers are make their cookers out of 1/4" steel. The difference between the two smokers is that the Lang is a reverse flow smoker and the Peoria is not. Make no mistake though, they are both stick burners and will need tending every hour or two. On the other hand a smoker like the Stumps you mentioned will need tending only once every 8 to 10 hours. With a stick burner, someone is gonna need to stay up all night to tend the cooker at a comp.

I've read that the 48s and 60s main cooking chamber was 3/16ths, not 1/4. And I am a stick burner at heart so that is another thing that is pushing me towards an offset. But with a quality basket like the Klose one and good coal, 5 hours or more with out tending the fire is very doable.

Another argument is that the 48" is too small. I would lean to something a little bit larger, as you will fill the 48" pretty darn quickly. I now wish I had the 84" model, but that is another discussion.

Another argument is that the 48" is too small. I would lean to something a little bit larger, as you will fill the 48" pretty darn quickly. I now wish I had the 84" model, but that is another discussion.

Agreed, the Peoria has about 500 more sq Inches than the lang 48, for a little less money, but truth be told I am closer to lang and could drive there and back cheaper than I could drive to Peoria, so it would probably be a wash $$ wise.

Both Lang and Peoria Cookers are make their cookers out of 1/4" steel. The difference between the two smokers is that the Lang is a reverse flow smoker and the Peoria is not. Make no mistake though, they are both stick burners and will need tending every hour or two. On the other hand a smoker like the Stumps you mentioned will need tending only once every 8 to 10 hours. With a stick burner, someone is gonna need to stay up all night to tend the cooker at a comp.

This is true. To keep a good consistent heat i usually have to add coals to the charcoal basket every 3 hours or so. I don't mind but if you hate to maintain it can be a pain in the arse.

Tending to the Fire is just part of having a stick burner. For the last 8 months I've been cooking with nothing but wood in my small NB offsest, having to add wood every 45min -1hr. Jordan I am interested to hear if the basket you are using is the one Peoria offers. IMO they're a little overpriced. Those I've seen using Klose's snake like design have been getting 5 hrs and more burn time out of a single load of coal! I'm seriously considering burning straight logs for the first 3-4 hours and then going to a basket full for a long burn and a little shut eye.

Tending to the Fire is just part of having a stick burner. For the last 8 months I've been cooking with nothing but wood in my small NB offsest, having to add wood every 45min -1hr. Jordan I am interested to hear if the basket you are using is the one Peoria offers. IMO they're a little overpriced. Those I've seen using Klose's snake like design have been getting 5 hrs and more burn time out of a single load of coal! I'm seriously considering burning straight logs for the first 3-4 hours and then going to a basket full for a long burn and a little shut eye.

Yeah, thats the only thing I would say is that the "charcoal basket" is a little high anmd it's not near as cool as some of the others out there. i beleive Klose, for example has one that actually snake burns, which is what you really need. I'd love to have one myself. I think if you found one like that that would fit in the firebox you'd have a great setup.

Thats really how I'm leaning right now. (the Peoria with a basket from klose) I just got done watching a Powerpoint presentation on the 24x72 model. I wasn't aware that they will build you any kind of baffle system you want, or turn the smoker into a true reverse flow. The options these guys have are really endless. They aren't cheap, but I really think you're getting what you pay for. I may look at having an adjustable baffle system put into a 24x48.

Don't forget about a Klose basket with a Lang/Ortone smoker. I know that Ben Lang will build you anything you want, and a basket built to your own design wouldn't be that much extra. But if you are considering any of the smokers listed in this thread, you will be getting a quality smoker.

Back