Choices, Choices, Choices

When I cook on mine there is usually only a 5-10 degree difference at most on the side with the firebox and the smoke stack side. This is opposed to many other smokers where you may have 20 degree + differential. Again, if budget permits I would highly recomend the Peoria.

WOW, and thats on a 72''.

Both Lang and Peoria Cookers are make their cookers out of 1/4" steel. The difference between the two smokers is that the Lang is a reverse flow smoker and the Peoria is not. Make no mistake though, they are both stick burners and will need tending every hour or two. On the other hand a smoker like the Stumps you mentioned will need tending only once every 8 to 10 hours. With a stick burner, someone is gonna need to stay up all night to tend the cooker at a comp.

I've read that the 48s and 60s main cooking chamber was 3/16ths, not 1/4. And I am a stick burner at heart so that is another thing that is pushing me towards an offset. But with a quality basket like the Klose one and good coal, 5 hours or more with out tending the fire is very doable.

Another argument is that the 48" is too small. I would lean to something a little bit larger, as you will fill the 48" pretty darn quickly. I now wish I had the 84" model, but that is another discussion.

Another argument is that the 48" is too small. I would lean to something a little bit larger, as you will fill the 48" pretty darn quickly. I now wish I had the 84" model, but that is another discussion.

Agreed, the Peoria has about 500 more sq Inches than the lang 48, for a little less money, but truth be told I am closer to lang and could drive there and back cheaper than I could drive to Peoria, so it would probably be a wash $$ wise.

Both Lang and Peoria Cookers are make their cookers out of 1/4" steel. The difference between the two smokers is that the Lang is a reverse flow smoker and the Peoria is not. Make no mistake though, they are both stick burners and will need tending every hour or two. On the other hand a smoker like the Stumps you mentioned will need tending only once every 8 to 10 hours. With a stick burner, someone is gonna need to stay up all night to tend the cooker at a comp.

This is true. To keep a good consistent heat i usually have to add coals to the charcoal basket every 3 hours or so. I don't mind but if you hate to maintain it can be a pain in the arse.

Tending to the Fire is just part of having a stick burner. For the last 8 months I've been cooking with nothing but wood in my small NB offsest, having to add wood every 45min -1hr. Jordan I am interested to hear if the basket you are using is the one Peoria offers. IMO they're a little overpriced. Those I've seen using Klose's snake like design have been getting 5 hrs and more burn time out of a single load of coal! I'm seriously considering burning straight logs for the first 3-4 hours and then going to a basket full for a long burn and a little shut eye.

Tending to the Fire is just part of having a stick burner. For the last 8 months I've been cooking with nothing but wood in my small NB offsest, having to add wood every 45min -1hr. Jordan I am interested to hear if the basket you are using is the one Peoria offers. IMO they're a little overpriced. Those I've seen using Klose's snake like design have been getting 5 hrs and more burn time out of a single load of coal! I'm seriously considering burning straight logs for the first 3-4 hours and then going to a basket full for a long burn and a little shut eye.

Yeah, thats the only thing I would say is that the "charcoal basket" is a little high anmd it's not near as cool as some of the others out there. i beleive Klose, for example has one that actually snake burns, which is what you really need. I'd love to have one myself. I think if you found one like that that would fit in the firebox you'd have a great setup.

Thats really how I'm leaning right now. (the Peoria with a basket from klose) I just got done watching a Powerpoint presentation on the 24x72 model. I wasn't aware that they will build you any kind of baffle system you want, or turn the smoker into a true reverse flow. The options these guys have are really endless. They aren't cheap, but I really think you're getting what you pay for. I may look at having an adjustable baffle system put into a 24x48.

Don't forget about a Klose basket with a Lang/Ortone smoker. I know that Ben Lang will build you anything you want, and a basket built to your own design wouldn't be that much extra. But if you are considering any of the smokers listed in this thread, you will be getting a quality smoker.

Back