Chocolate coated homemade bacon

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
So... It's brethren GSXR883's birthday Tuesday, and he's my good buddy. *He's on my BBQ team, we work together, and we make craploads of bacon together. *Between the 2 of us we've easily made over 300lbs worth in the last six months. *Anyways, I was trying to figure out what to bring him, then it hit me, he loves bacon, and he loves chocolate.*

Before I begin, I should mention, I don't do this. *Unless it had a pulse recently, it's not really something I would be into. *I don't bake. *I mean, I can bake. *I've made breads and some cookies, but I'm not really into it, and I've never done candy, but after a few beers, everything sounds easy, so what the hell, let's do this!

First, I got me some chocolate -
image_zps1ff56697.jpg

And of course, I need a beer for this -

image_zps76718d15.jpg

Next I got some bacon from the freezer. *The bacon I'll be using is homemade. *Here is a link to the bacon creation -*http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174710

Then I fried me up some bacon. *
image_zpsa0cb8107.jpg

image_zps2115587b.jpg

Next, it's time to break up the chocolate. *I used a combo of milk and some extra dark. *I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do or not, but it tasted pretty farking good!
image_zpsbb8c53f3.jpg

image_zps331b350b.jpg

Made a double boiler on the stove and melted the chocolate
image_zps145fba65.jpg

image_zps0efec113.jpg

Note the awesome 1965 Roper gas range and terrible gold and white counters. We're rehabbing this old jalopy of a house, I'm currently building new cabinets and there's a brand new Bosch stove, sitting it the basement, just waiting for me to get my butt in gear. It's killin me. Back to the action!

Next I dipped all the bacon and laid it out on wax paper. *Then I sprinkled it with a light coat of ancho powder and some cherry smoked sea salt I made a while back. *

image_zps99ac69ef.jpg

image_zps6db5cb6b.jpg

image_zps8317122e.jpg

Then I put the trays outside to set the chocolate. Ten minutes later...

image_zps6ec3bc4a.jpg

Next I melted some white chocolate to drizzle over the top. *I think I was overly confident at this point... Needless to say, less than stellar results. *Shoulda quit while I was ahead. *

image_zpsa605b50f.jpg

Let the white set, and...

image_zps1ce7fe89.jpg

image_zps390d2440.jpg

That's it. *Thanks for looking. *Oh, and it's delicious. *Salty, sweet, savory. *The Mrs. was harassing me about making this, said it was gross and a waste of good bacon, but she tried it and now says I need to hide it from her..*

Looks and and sounds outstanding. Your buddy is going to have a great birthday.

Thanks! He better! We're also going out for churrasco tomorrow, so he's either going to have a great birthday, or a heart attack. Not sure which yet..

Dang sure do wish I was closer, that sounds great!!!

With the wind we've got it's been going through wood at different rates and I'm having some big temp fluctuations

Thanks, guys. I think I may need to test a couple more pieces for QC purposes... Chocolate bacon breakfast anyone? :thumb:

I just read your amazing bacon thread from a few months ago. Great thread! I always assumed bacon was cold smoked. Very cool to see it hot smoked and still come out right to be stored and cooked like bacon. Thanks for posting that. And this, the chocolate bacon looks great.

Oh, my! That looks like the ultimate snack, and I think the addition of the white chocolate was pure genius. Great job! :thumb:

Thinking about your chocolate covered bacon Shag and I wanted to take it up another notch...ever considered a chocolate drizzled, bacon wrapped fatty?

I bet someone will do this in the near future.

Great looking appetizer, desert, entree???!!!

Back