Chili on a stick (warning: 12 pictures)

OK. I'm speechless. I laughed when I saw BigaBytes original idea and said to myself that I could pull it off. So, I did. Yea me!!

Then I posted the pictures and checked the thread this morning and saw 11 responses and about 15 threads above it. And I was truely excited that everyone seems to like BigaByte's idea and my execution of that idea.

Now I'm looking at 40 resonses and wondering if I've spawn a monster. :rolleyes:

This is truely a wonderful site.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. I tried to use a hushpuppy batter before going with the flour method. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the hushpuppy batter to stick well enough on the chili to make it work. I may need to get a thinner hushpuppy batter. Maybe if I can find a batter recipe for corn dogs. :-D

Sour cream was in the fridge last night and I forgot to get it out for the testing. I was to excited about it actually working to realize that I was missing the sour cream.

Looks like I need to make a few more test runs.

Well, technically, you deserve the credit NCGrimbo. I was basically joking when I mentioned Chili on a Stick. However, when I typed it I did think to myself, "You know, someday someone probably will make that". You made it real. So real in fact, I hope to make some tomorrow!:wink: I was worried abou tthe batter sticking, looks like I may have to do breading then. I'm going to try a corn dog batter recipe I found here:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,150178-250204,00.html

Blame BigaByte in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36915

I started with left over Bratwurst Chili
DCP_4196.jpg

Then I distributed into 3 oz dixie paper cups
DCP_4197.jpg

Into the freezer with the cups and when frozen, out they come and the paper cups are peeled off
DCP_4200.jpg

First, dust with flour
DCP_4201.jpg

Then a buttermilk and egg bath and back into the flour then into the oil.
DCP_4202.jpg

The first batch cooked for 5 minutes until the crust was golden brown
DCP_4203.jpg

Bitting into one was wonderful
DCP_4204.jpg

until I got down to the end of the stick and found some frozen bratwurst
DCP_4205.jpg

The same thing happened with the second COAS treat
DCP_4206.jpg

The next batch went for 7 minutes. Looks at this deliciousness
DCP_4208.jpg

All was perfectly cooked and wonderful tasting
DCP_4210.jpg

But the stick didn't stay in
DCP_4211.jpg

All in all, a great experiment. 7 minutes in 375 degree oil was perfect. You could make these without the sticks and have a wonderful appetiser. I think the next batch I make will use a smaller container. Maybe an icecube tray and no stick. The paper on the bottom of the cup, which is a seperate piece from the sides, stuck to the bottom of the chili and I had to use a knife to scrape if off. next time, I'll also spice up the flour since you can taste it more than I thought you would.
Farkin' great!!!!!!:biggrin: I gotta try that........btw, make sure you keep notes and pics so you can patent this:biggrin:

Downright interesting! Never heard of such but that just had to be delightful; you came up with a great idea...keep working on it for the Appetizers; I think that would be an awesome one! Thx for sharing.

Man that looks great,, I think ill fry some up for an eye opener at the next chili cook off,,,

So I spooned out some chili onto a plastic lined tray and froze them. I wound up with roughly silver dollar sized chili nuggets about 3/4 inch thick. I put some smoked cheddar into a few of them.
Chili_Nuggets_Frozen.jpg

I started with a corn batter made from a box of jiffy cornbread mix, 1/3 cup beer and 1 egg. I floured one of the chili nuggets and then put it in the batter. The batter was thick. When I scooped it out into the fryer the bottom part that was attached to my fork came off, meaning half of the nugget was exposed chili!:evil: So I had to toss that one. The next one I made sure was covered well and was real careful when going from fork to oil. There was still a small exposed part, but I got it to fry up. The 3rd one I was able to get to work perfectly with no exposed chili. It wasn't easy. I think I need a better batter.

For the last two, I tried standard breading with flour, liquid and egg (used beer for liquid) and they fried up just fine.

So I wound up with 4 full pieces in the end, 2 with corn batter, 2 with breading. The corn ones are in the top of the photo.
Chili_Nuggets_Fried.jpg

When I was eating the breaded ones, I found the crust was a bit fragile, it could crumble in your hands and you could get chili all over them. It tasted freaking awesome though!

The corn battered ones held firm when eating them. I had no trouble with them trying to fall apart. So a thick firm batter is definitely required to avoid the product crumbling in your hand. The corn battered ones tasted better too, the corn really lended itself to the flavor of the chili.

I will be trying again with a different batter. Just wish I knew of a good firm one that could stick better.

Last edited:
Do you think Masa flour would work? The flour you make tortillas out of. If made right you use water and lard to make the batter, it might hold together better and would for sure give it a different flavor. I always add Masa to my chili to thicken it and give it added flavor.

May I suggest "chili poppers"
I had thought about that too, but if you search for Chili Poppers, you get a million hits for fried cheese-stuffed jalapeno peppers.

Chili balls?
That could work! I was also thinking about Chili Nuggets. What's interesting, if you search google for "Chili Nuggets", the 4th listing is this thread!:lol:

Do you think Masa flour would work? The flour you make tortillas out of. If made right you use water and lard to make the batter, it might hold together better and would for sure give it a different flavor. I always add Masa to my chili to thicken it and give it added flavor.
That sounds like a good idea. You could make it like a dough and form it around the chili even. As long as it's sturdy, that is the #1 thing. It has to hold together. I think that sounds like a strong one.

I solved the batter problem. I floured it before dipping in batter previously. If you just dip them in batter, tossing it around a few times, and then spoon it into the fryer then it is no problem. All of them in that batch cooked up perfect. I also thinned the batter a bit.

I have had this thread bookmarked for months waiting to try this. Tonite I finally did. With total utter failure:sad:
I froze the chili in an ice cube tray and tried the corn batter bigabyte used. I could not get the batter to stay on the chili, I had better success when I floured the nuggets first (opposite of bigabyte). Then the batter would burn long before the chili thawed out. The longest I could keep the batter in the oil was 3-4 minutes. You need 5-7 to melt the chili. I did try cutting a nugget in half before frying it. That worked better, but the batter was still overdone, and there wasn't enough chili left to make it worth the trouble.

Any thoughts?:confused:

Hot damn!

Never would have thought to deep fry chili. Might not ever try it, but Im glad you did.

Well, I'm not sure why your results were so different than mine for the same recipe. I haven't made these since shortly after these posts!:lol: I tried once more after this with Masa flour and it was a total failure.

Definitely needs small nuggets and a firm batter though. Maybe biscuit dough?

holy crap you could market that to some of the different stands at the minnesota state fair..

I'm not sure how to go about it or what to charge...

but I know that some of the top venders pay top $ for anything new on a stick

Back