THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
With a contest coming up next month I decided that I needed to practice my chicken this past weekend.

All rubbed up and ready to be put on at 275.
20180819_133741_zpsamavfq9d.jpg

Here are the legs all finished up.
20180819_161847_zps4byunef4.jpg

20180819_161854_zpswp7fnfm1.jpg

Pot's Happy rub definitely made me happy with the taste of these legs.
Thanks for looking

Now that the practice cook is over definitely time to practice eating.

Looks like you nailed that cook. I took that class this past March and will test out the things I learned this weekend at Pigs and Peaches in Kennesaw. If my chicken looks that good, I'll be happy.

Looks like you nailed that cook. I took that class this past March and will test out the things I learned this weekend at Pigs and Peaches in Kennesaw. If my chicken looks that good, I'll be happy.

Pots class was well worth the money. I took it last year and ended up finishing 4th overall at last year's Pigs and Peaches. Took 2nd place chicken and 3rd place pork.

I wish I was going back this year but I had something come up that is stopping me from going back.

Good Luck!

Great color, I bet they taste as good as they look.

The taste was really good but the tenderness is what was missing. I am attempting to use Costco's organic legs but for some reason the texture of their legs is off. They have a little bit more chew than I am looking for when I judge chicken. I am thinking that I need to cook them to a higher temperature somewhere around 170-175.

Looks great I think thighs are easier and fit into the box easier too

Both legs and thighs are easy to fit in a box in my opinion.

The real difference is in prepping them. Legs take almost no time at all for me to prep where thighs takes a longer time. It is the scrapping of the skins on the thighs that takes me so long. I was never able to get bite through skin within scrapping the skins.

The taste was really good but the tenderness is what was missing. I am attempting to use Costco's organic legs but for some reason the texture of their legs is off. They have a little bit more chew than I am looking for when I judge chicken. I am thinking that I need to cook them to a higher temperature somewhere around 170-175.

Even that seems low. Try going to at least 185 with a test cook to see how they are.

Even that seems low. Try going to at least 185 with a test cook to see how they are.

Thanks Ron for the suggestion.
I'll run a few of the up to 175 then start to pull a few off every few degrees until I get them to a tenderness I like.

Back