Chicken Heart Sausage (why not) & Nashville Chicken Sausage

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
So I was snagging some boneless skinless thighs to make some Nashville Hot Chicken sausage (Thanks MisterChrister for the inspiration) and saw a bunch of chicken hearts sitting there too. Thought "I like chicken hearts so why not make chicken heart sausage??".

Not many recipes I found :crazy: and those folks that made patties out of it had a crumbling problem. So as to not waste I'm starting small with a 10lb batch :becky:. Going to play around with some dry milk to help binding and moisture and see what happens. Thinking of making it a green curry type as well and picked up some flavor at the asian market.

Here's one of the 4 packs of hearts I got and the green curry.
EY9xXY5l.jpg

4uuVhp2l.jpg

For the nashville thinking standard paprika, cayenne, hot sauce and then adding the pickles inside (which i've added pickles to sausages before). I'll also add in an onion since I like the fresh onion in sausages.

We'll see how it goes. Might grind it up tonight or tomorrow and then case up the following day.

I can't wait to see this! I love sausage creations. I will say I have no had success with adding hot sauce to sausages. Seems to hurt the bind and give that loose, crumbly texture.

I can't wait to see this! I love sausage creations. I will say I have no had success with adding hot sauce to sausages. Seems to hurt the bind and give that loose, crumbly texture.

I've had good results with sriracha, but you are right that you have to watch it. I might exclude and just use spices.

I love your idea, Jason! I am a sausage making novice, no experience with chicken sausage making at all. I am under the impression the hearts will be very lean, how does one deal with that? Looking forward to your results, thanks again for sharing!

Meat ground up after a quick freeze to get it colder

Chicken thighs
r6Le08Gl.jpg

0lbPONJl.jpg

Hearts
woEH7mdl.jpg

U1xopCFl.jpg

NhquH4Jl.jpg

8vXt8qwl.jpg

So did a small test pan fry with salt pepper and cayenne and hot damn was it tasty. Almost beefy because of the richness.

So the challenge is there is a different texture and being lean I don't know how it will turn out when cased. I will be adding powder milk to help bind and add some moisture and might not do the green curry as it is a sauce and could add too much liquid. Going to think about it, but damn that small batch was tasty as a little patty. Would make a damn good burger!

I wish I could get hearts around here. They have gizzards with hearts but you might only get a couple in a one pound pack.

I'm lucky with one of the Asian markets around me has just about everything. Nice being able to get larger quantities of some "uncommon" things.

Back