Cheating

With regards to brisket, some teams out here arrive early, get their meat inspected and cook it. Bring it to temp the next morning and turn it in. Works fine if you don't slice it until the next day. As we used to say in the Army, this is a "technique", perhaps not preferred and certainly not doctrine but a technique none the less.

In the above scenario, they are not cheating as they had their inspections done and cooked the meat after inspection.

I can't control the integrity of other folks but I can control mine and personally that's all I worry about.

I started this hobby in 2009 in Arizona and I saw the same AZ, CA teams every month it seemed, attributed to lack of contests and things just starting to take off out West. I moved back to Texas in 2011 and with hundreds of teams and cook offs, guess what, I still see the same teams pretty regular.

I suspect you will now find out how small the community really is.

With regards to brisket, some teams out here arrive early, get their meat inspected and cook it. Bring it to temp the next morning and turn it in. Works fine if you don't slice it until the next day. As we used to say in the Army, this is a "technique", perhaps not preferred and certainly not doctrine but a technique none the less.

In the above scenario, they are not cheating as they had their inspections done and cooked the meat after inspection.

I can't control the integrity of other folks but I can control mine and personally that's all I worry about.

I started this hobby in 2009 in Arizona and I saw the same AZ, CA teams every month it seemed, attributed to lack of contests and things just starting to take off out West. I moved back to Texas in 2011 and with hundreds of teams and cook offs, guess what, I still see the same teams pretty regular.

I suspect you will now find out how small the community really is.

I heard you weren't quite that philosophical in Dahlonega:wink:

Back