Charcoal stacking question

qapla

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Qapla
We were given a smoker by someone who is moving away. It has a vertical side as well as an offset.

They did not take the best care of it so it took quite an effort to clean it up and get it ready. We have used it a few times and have had fairly good results but we still have one issue.

We are not sure that charcoal grate they had for stacking the charcoal on was original or something they came up with since it sits rather high making it difficult to really stack the coals for starting and very difficult if we have to add more for a long cook.

My daughter tried it without any "holder" for the charcoal and just piled it on the bottom of the firebox. This had "fair" results.

The question is - do we need to supply some type of raised grate to allow air to get under the coals or is leaving it on the floor of the firebox OK?

My experience. You can stack splits and lean splits forward backward and side to side. With 100% wood I can build tunnels of fire, move ashes easily keeping an open airway. It's more challenging to me to do this with initial and ongoing lump or briquettes. Oklahoma Joe makes a fire basket that sits on the grate inside the firebox. This set up I have airflow under over and around. Some may be depending on how long your cook. Sausage chicken meatloaf versus pork butt, brisket etc.

Bottom line I'd say get it off the deck, but depending on fuel you can make it work fine

Are you trying to use charcoal in a stick burner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I know what the OP is saying and even if I don't the answer is yes. The more airflow under a fire will make it burn better. Why fireplaces have grates.

Back