Charcoal Chat

Tannhauser42

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
X
Let's talk charcoal. What do you use? What will you never use? What do you wish you could use?

My own history with bbq isn't very extensive. Growing up we had some kettle-type of grill that we occasionally used for burgers. Whatever charcoal went into it was likely whatever was cheapest at the grocery store, would then be doused in lighter fluid, and then lit. This was the 80s and early 90s, no glorious Internet upon which to gain knowledge from the wise BBQ Masters.

Fast forward to me getting married some six years ago, and roughly the same time the Big Green Egg was in the news as a success story, and I said "I want one." So, I got one. Used the BGE brand lump at first, switched to Royal Oak when I read that Royal Oak made the BGE charcoal, anyway. Royal Oak was much more convenient for me to get, as I could get it at my local Home Depot for cheaper then driving all the way to the BBQ store to buy the BGE lump. Royal Oak lump is what I've been using for about five years now.

But, this past month, I bought a Pit Barrel Cooker, so I needed briquettes. Being the contrary person I am, I say to myself "everybody seems to use Kingsford, so I have to use something different". Found a bag of Royal Oak all natural briquettes at Walmart. I finished the bag last weekend, and, at the same time, picked up two 40lb pounds of Royal Oak Chef's Select that I had read about when researching "best charcoal" online.

So, what do I use? Royal Oak lump. I've never had any real problems with it. I've found the occasional small rock when cleaning out the ashes in the BGE, but that's it. I've always liked the slightly smokey flavor and appearance it gives the food I cook on it. Using Royal Oak briqs in the PBC at the moment, and will see how the Chef's Select version turns out this weekend. Haven't tried any briqs in the BGE, yet.

What will I not use? Cowboy lump from all the horror stories I've read online. Kingsford just because I can be a crotchety contrarian at times since "everyone uses Kingsford". Anything with lighter fluid already in it I won't touch.

What do I wish I could use? Doing some reading online, I'd like to give Jealous Devil and Rockwood lump a try. Rockwood is available at my local Ace Hardware, so easy enough to get. Have to wait until I use up what's left of my current Royal Oak lump supply, first. Better get grilling, huh?

I use any all natural briqs except stubbs. The family and neighbors don't like the heavy smoke at startup. I'll never use kbb. HEB Grand Champion is my current favorite. Smells better than all others to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I run KBB and I use Lighter Fluid. I don’t care what my neighbors think or anyone else for that matter.....:mrgreen:

Anyone who’s been to a N Texas Bash and ate anything I cooked has had meat/food cooked on KBB started with lighter fluid..........even stick burning BoomSkuckaLucka gets started on KBB n lighter fluid and if coal base gets low gets more KBB during the cook.........

Last edited:
Apparently I need to state the following:
My intention is neither to offend anyone nor to look down on anyone for their choices in charcoal or lighting methods. I simply choose not to use Kingsford out of an innate desire to "go against the crowd" that I often have, this is not to be taken as any attack on those who like and use Kingsford. I choose not to use lighter fluid based on my preferences for other techniques, and for various things I've read regarding lighter fluid, and this, too, is not to be taken as any attack on those who like and use lighter fluid.

Whatever non-matchlight briquettes are available cheaply, mostly. I've also had decent luck with the Frontier lump that's at the local Smart & Final. Always use a chimney to start.

I’m on my last three bags of Weber briqs from the Target hoard. They’re reserved for briskets and butts. Everything else gets Western lump or Royal Oak lump and briqs.

Tried cowboy some time back on the grill and it would pop a lot and put cinders on my food, wrote lump off my list and moved on, kingsford is my goto for the last bunch of years, didnt stock up much during the sales as i did in the past, the pellet grill does a pretty dang good job during the week for a quick cook, did bonein ribeyes this evening and they turned out great

My go to these days is Fogo, you can get it in 2 sizes. That being said I’m not mad at the Western Lump, not mad at it at all. Used it for today’s cook. I’m using up any briquettes I have starting the fire.

I was spoiled with Ozark Oak. To me,lump is the only charcoal I like to use.O.O. is gone now,except for the 20 bags I have hoarded.Used EXCLUSIVELY for very special cooks.To ME any lump is better than any briquette I have ever used.I do run hardwood spits in my Shirley stickburner but any other cooker,Weber WSM,Kettles,Green Egg,etc. I use lump.I have and do use briquettes on occasion but prefer lump,hands down,on any and all non stick burner cookers.Just me.

I have 16 bags of KBB to use up because of the traditional hoarding while it's on sale. I bought some Cowboy lump, it was okay but I recently discovered Rockwood lump and that is my favorite by far, nice and clean heat.

I have used just about everything, except high end lump.

I would say Stubbs was my favorite for a long time. I really liked the Weber briquettes too that were available last year. In my WSM, I used to really like both until they were seemingly discontinued.

Currently, my favorite briquette for smoking/grilling is Royal Oak "All Natural" (which is apparently "Chef's Select" rebranded). IMHO, it rivals Stubbs and Weber. RO "All Natural" light's quick, smokes very little, and gets very hot. Love it!

I recently stocked up on Western Lump when it was $3 a bag on the advice that it's good coal. I admit, I really have enjoyed over the past few cooks.

***can we just pause a second and think about how farking great it is that there's a place where you can talk about charcoal with other folks - charcoal! I do not have many friends who would want to discuss charcoal for any length of time without trying to get out of the conversation as soon as possible. glad there's a spot to talk about charcoal with people who are as intersted in it as I am, so yay for this site once again.***

Anyway - briqs - Royal Oak Chef Select (ship-to-store to DoItBest, sometimes purchased at California Charcoal and Firewood), and different kinds of lump - love Fogo. but it's pricey - still buy it though. I get B&B lump ship-to-store at Ace, sometimes the cheap stuff at Smart & Final (can't say no to 40# for $16!) and if RO lump is on sale I'll snag that sometimes as well.

I think I have all that chit on hand right now, as well as some Lazarri Mesquite lump and el Diable from Costco business center (cheap but very farkin sparky!)

I use KBB for straight grilling. Weber, Stubbs, or RO Lump for smoking in my WSM's.

I use KBB for grilling, RO or one of it's store brands for everything. Lately, I've used Weber while Lowes had it at a good price. Lump for grilling only, it's heat is too unstable for low and slow on a kettle.

I use royal oak lump primarily...I use jealous devil every now and then. It's too expensive to use everyday, but I really like it.

Back