THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so this is what i have observed of your photos and based on my experience.

- make sure you have good airflow. keep the air intake open full till you get your desired temp and dial down.

- get a charcoal basket. i got a cheap metal basket for 9.99 from homegoods and used that as mine. i find this helps b/c it keep the coals in one area or i can move then around if i need to. having them roll around the firebox isnt good.

- make sure you have your exhaust open full. no blockage.

- you didnt post photos of your charcoal. maybe you arent using enough to heat up the entire chamber.

Hi Notorious, All,
Great points, all. I used a lot of charcoal (and lump charcoal), so I am convinced that I need a o focus on raising up the grate and finding the right fuel. I learned how to control the heat on my

Try those kingsford wood splits, it was my "gateway fuel" that got me hooked into full blown stick burning. Even though I don't use kingsford anymore (got a wood yard hookup now), give it a whirl, it'll solve your temp problems pronto

so this is what i have observed of your photos and based on my experience.

- make sure you have good airflow. keep the air intake open full till you get your desired temp and dial down.

- get a charcoal basket. i got a cheap metal basket for 9.99 from homegoods and used that as mine. i find this helps b/c it keep the coals in one area or i can move then around if i need to. having them roll around the firebox isnt good.

- make sure you have your exhaust open full. no blockage.

- you didnt post photos of your charcoal. maybe you arent using enough to heat up the entire chamber.
Here is one I made for my mine Made this from materials procured from a big box store. If you have only been using charcoal, one recommendation I would make, is to do a burn using splits before cooking anything. I had a build up of ????. Had just checked on the cook, had a weird smoke (not white, blue or black coming out. Opened the lid and the fireball flew. Luckily, food was not destroyed.

Don't do a dryer vent extension...... some have had Good Luck with them but more have not as it can disrupt/hurt airflow/draft

Back