Certified KCBS Judge

Cooks aren't compensated unless they win. They pay dues, pay for cooking classes, travel, all their gear, plus they buy their own meat, pay their entry fee and buy a drink or two for their pals that come by to say, "hey". I beleive their is definately some dedication there, too. :-D

There is no doubt there is dedication from the cookers. To me that is not a question, but as you pointed out when you pay your entry and everything else you have to pay for....there is a chance of winning $, trophies and gain some respect from fellow competitors and bragging rights....not to mention if you win enough there are other marketing opportunities out there. That being said I'm sure just like any other hobby you'll spend way more than you win. My point was I'm surprised you have to pay to be a judge and really don't get anything in return other than a bellyfull of BBQ. I have the utmost respect for both sides and hope to get into comp cooking someday. Just the opinion of a newbie from the outside looking in. :thumb:

Cooks put into it what they want to. Judges put into it what they want to. When it i's not fun any more they both quit. Keith

That's the bottom line right there, Keith. I do it because it's fun.

I personally value the CBJ program and the CBJ's. As a cook, the CBJ program gives me a standard to cook for, however when you have non-CBJ's/celebs you never know what your scores are going to look like (ever get scored down for a perfectly cooked rib and get a comment card that says the meat didn't fall off the bone?).

I average competing at over 12 contest per year and have found that, in all but very few instances, when I get low scores, I just have to look in the mirror to see the problem. Yes, every once in a while you will come across a hard table of judges, but that's the breaks. I guess I just had to grow up and quit blaming judges for my poor performances in the past.

As far as the judges traveling, I'm all for it. If anyone of you have ever met Dave, Rookie'48, you know he is one of the most knowledgeable individuals out there not to mention his love of the sport. Talking with him and other judges after the contest has shown me that they really love what they do and take it very serious. I would love to have a band of traveling Master CBJ's at any contest I am at rather than .... well, I'll just leave it at that.

As cooks, we should be thanking these individuals for their unselfish dedication to make our sport better. Those who are bagging on them should either get to know the judges or shut the frac up! Just MHO for what it's worth.

But remember, he started at the bottom as well, and had to work his way up just like all the other newbies.... you have to start somewhere, and if the contest only wants CBJ's, how will a newbie get to be a CBJ??????

How would you accomplish this?

here is my 2 cents worth...
first off, I have cooked at several comps.... second off, I can not judge as I am allergic to pork and can not eat it.... I am now a CTC, thanks to KCBS dropping the requirements to be a CBJ before you could table captain....

I think "newbie" judges should be mentored.... as not every new judge has ever cooked nor competed, they may not know what all is involved and what to look for. That is where I do not agree 100% with the no talking at the judging table, but I do see why they request it....

so maybe if there were several new judges, before they judge their first official comp, they set up a "MOCK" judging table and have teams sign up to provide boxes for that table to "learn" on... what to look for in presentations, tenderness, etc.... I know they teach it is not to be judged on your own preference, but what is presented to you... BUT.... well, you get the point.

just my thoughts....

But remember, he started at the bottom as well, and had to work his way up just like all the other newbies.... you have to start somewhere, and if the contest only wants CBJ's, how will a newbie get to be a CBJ??????

Short answer - Anyone can become a CBJ, just sign up and take a class.

Long answer - Now as far as actually judging a contest, the "newbie" CBJ needs to plan ahead by either contacting the contest organizer early and ask to be put on the mailing list for judge applications or they keep an eye out for the contest to be announced and send in their application immediately. In both cases, let the organizer know you are a new CBJ and are serious about judging. The "newbie" can also ask to be paired with Master CBJ's. I'm sure many organizers would appreciate your willingness to not only judge but learn from more experienced judges. Not saying this will work, but building a rapport with the organizer can't hurt your chances.

When I first started judging I asked my Table Captain to keep an eye on my scores & let me know if I was too far out of line with the other judges at the table. I didn't want to be giving out 6s if everyone was scoring 8s & 9s - or vice versa.

Where a newbie judge really starts their learning proccess is when the judges talk quietly amongst themselves after the score cards are turned in. You'l hear things like: "What about rib #3? The meat fell of as I was taking it out of the box" or "That #6 pork had some great slices & chunks - why did he put in that mushy pulled? It sure cost him big time" or "That second brisket entry - man you could have used it for a tow strap!" or "That guy who turned in those drummies - he had it all together on that one!" or . . .

You get the idea :grin:.

When I first started judging I asked my Table Captain to keep an eye on my scores & let me know if I was too far out of line with the other judges at the table. I didn't want to be giving out 6s if everyone was scoring 8s & 9s - or vice versa.

Where a newbie judge really starts their learning proccess is when the judges talk quietly amongst themselves after the score cards are turned in. You'l hear things like: "What about rib #3? The meat fell of as I was taking it out of the box" or "That #6 pork had some great slices & chunks - why did he put in that mushy pulled? It sure cost him big time" or "That second brisket entry - man you could have used it for a tow strap!" or "That guy who turned in those drummies - he had it all together on that one!" or . . .

You get the idea :grin:.

Great points, Dave. I've learned a lot from being mentored at the table by the more experienced judges and table captains. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Back