Certified KCBS Judge

I am interested in becoming a judge, for a couple of reasons:
1) I like great BBQ
2) I want to learn how to make great BBQ

I am new to the forum, but have been cooking for 30+ years. Kitchen cooking has become a little dull and I love cooking outdoors and making BBQ.
That's exactly why I got started.

If people want their local competitions to have more local judges, then they should volunteer to help the event organizers to arrange for that.

An event organizer chooses who they send 'acceptance' notices to for judging. I think that, to make it most fair, a certain percentage should be new judges (new judges have to start somewhere, right?), a certain percentage experienced judges, a percentage master judges and a certain number of local/celeb. judges.

But - the bottom line on all that is - it is up to the event organizer to decide who they want to judge at their competition and what their preferred mix of experience is.

I always try to share what I've learned with new judges at each contest. It makes for great conversation while waiting. And, I learn a lot that way too. Overall, communication between judges before judging starts goes a long way towards improving the overall quality of the judging.

But, to answer the question and keep this on topic - no. Judges are not normally financially compensated for their services.

I am about to become a KCBS judge. But I had a bad judge the last comp. I turned in chicken that my thermometer said was just BARELY at the safe temp. A comment card said it was overcooked. That's a 20 to 30 degree difference. In my opinion, the judge was trying to show off. That's when I have a problem with the judges. They need to be trained better.

And that is something that pi$$es me off :mad2:. The e-ballot is right there on the computer - all you have to do is log in & VOTE. Last year less than 20% of the eligible members bothered to vote.

Basically we have 50% +1 of 18% of the membership electing the Bod :confused:. I guess that's ok with some folks but it still ticks me off.

I just voted.

I'm a little surprised they aren't compensated. You have to pay to join KCBS, pay for the judging school, pay for your travel and I haven't even gotten to the time you put in. My hats are off to yall....there has to be some dedication there for all of that.:thumb:

Cooks aren't compensated unless they win. They pay dues, pay for cooking classes, travel, all their gear, plus they buy their own meat, pay their entry fee and buy a drink or two for their pals that come by to say, "hey". I beleive their is definately some dedication there, too. :-D

And that is something that pi$$es me off :mad2:. The e-ballot is right there on the computer - all you have to do is log in & VOTE. Last year less than 20% of the eligible members bothered to vote.

Basically we have 50% +1 of 18% of the membership electing the Bod :confused:. I guess that's ok with some folks but it still ticks me off.

Dave, I understand what you're saying, but, watch what you ask for. If they just go and vote without educating themselves on the candidates and the issues, then they vote for names they might recognize or just any 4 names that sound good. Then, you get a popularity contest (probably how Paul Kirk got elected).

I don't think folks should blindly vote party line in politics either, but, many do, without even reading who they are and what they stand for (sometimes the other guy is a better choice).

It would be nice if folks took a few minutes to read, then vote - in ALL elections.

Dave, I understand what you're saying, but, watch what you ask for. If they just go and vote without educating themselves on the candidates and the issues, then they vote for names they might recognize or just any 4 names that sound good. Then, you get a popularity contest (probably how Paul Kirk got elected).

I don't think folks should blindly vote party line in politics either, but, many do, without even reading who they are and what they stand for (sometimes the other guy is a better choice).

It would be nice if folks took a few minutes to read, then vote - in ALL elections.

Bill, you're probably right about this :doh:. Just because I try to read up on the issues I assume that most other folks do also - and we all know how the word assume breaks down!

In reply to the original post, I had never expected to be compensated as a KCBS judge. I do it for the love of BBQ, and to feel as if I am doing "my part" as a BBQ citizen.

I have restricted myself to a distance limit of three hours driving one way, which allows plenty of contests. I will occasionally do an overnight stay, particularly if the area has something else to offer.

My time, gas, tolls and, sometimes, lodging costs are significant, but nowhere near that of even a part-time competitor. However, a competitor has a chance to earn his/her money back, I do not. As to the argument of "Free BBQ," I can be far more cost effective cooking myself or going to local joints.

In reply to the original post, I had never expected to be compensated as a KCBS judge. I do it for the love of BBQ, and to feel as if I am doing "my part" as a BBQ citizen.

I have restricted myself to a distance limit of three hours driving one way, which allows plenty of contests. I will occasionally do an overnight stay, particularly if the area has something else to offer.

My time, gas, tolls and, sometimes, lodging costs are significant, but nowhere near that of even a part-time competitor. However, a competitor has a chance to earn his/her money back, I do not. As to the argument of "Free BBQ," I can be far more cost effective cooking myself or going to local joints.

But would the food be as good? :becky:

As a cook, I appreciate all CBJs for showing up and judging the competitions I am involved in because in the end it takes both committed judges and cooks to make a good competition.

This. Exactly.
Jean and I haven't yet judged so far afield that we had to spend the night, but I see that coming this year. Costs? Bah. If we didn't want to be part of this community we'd stay in the back yard and off the Brethren. :rolleyes:

This. Exactly.
Jean and I haven't yet judged so far afield that we had to spend the night, but I see that coming this year. Costs? Bah. If we didn't want to be part of this community we'd stay in the back yard and off the Brethren. :rolleyes:

Labor Day weekend Bedford, TX?

But would the food be as good? :becky:

:thumb: I think I'm about to find that out. I am planning on competing this year.

From my judging experience .... on any given day and any given category, I think that my "at home bbq" is better then a minimum of 4 of 6 entries. Sometimes better than that. I mostly chalk that up to "cooking to taste" that I do at home.

I'm hoping with practice and experience, I'll be able to compete at a respectable level.

Several points I wish to comment on:

As others have said - no compensation for judges. Other than my thanks and gratitude, plus a goodie bag like the teams receive and a pin for our contest.

When I am selecting judges to come to our contest, I first choose cbj's that I have previous positive experiences with. They are the nucleus of the crew. Plus if there is anyone I have negative experiences with for any reason, they go to the bottom of the pile- I am lucky, very few in this category.

In last years contest 70% of our judges , and we are 100% CBJ's, were from my home state of Minnesota. Within the minority of out of state judges I had cbj's from Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Canada. If a judge is willing to travel that far to come to our contest, I will do what I can to make it happen.

No-shows - I am lucky. That has not been a problem here. Everyone who says they will be there shows up. Hope that continues.

The down side- I had to turn away almost 30% of the judges who applied because we did not have enough teams to use everyone.

The biggest complication is teams that wait to the very last minute to register, or just show up on contest day. Matching judges with the number of teams is the "dance" that everyone who does this job deals with. So far that has been a very manageable problem, and I am thankful for every team who decides to come to us.

Sorry to make this post so much about me and our contest, but it is a perspective I did not see when I read the other postings in this most interesting thread.

We seem to look for the same thing "seasoned" judges. There are comps across TX that go through the same thing. But either way, the cream seems to rise to the top. Remember, if your scores are all over the board, so is theirs. But that is the chance that cooks take at any comp, CBJs or not.

I see both sides. Judges tend to get it right whether 'certified' or not. I know about cooking at the VFW in Texas and the proverbial wisdom:wink: It's different, but as I said the judges usually get it right and the cooks that do well in KCBS and in Texas prove that.

That being said, and having started out cooking in Texas, I think there is a consistency you get from KCBS and certified judges that you don't get in Texas. Beyond that, you get feedback in the form of raw scores from those same judges. In Texas you get to go try and find a reasonable bite left on a half a bird to figure out what hit. In KCBS you get to crunch numbers.

Odds in Vegas are better than either, but not as much fun unless you want to get arrested.

This seemed like a good thread to ask this question: I'm signed up for a CBJ class this Saturday, and I'm wondering where do I go from here. Do I just need to start contacting organizers to request judging apps? Does Sam's Club (for example) have an overall judging coordinator, or will I need to contact the organizers of each individual event.

Any enlightenment you'all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

This seemed like a good thread to ask this question: I'm signed up for a CBJ class this Saturday, and I'm wondering where do I go from here. Do I just need to start contacting organizers to request judging apps? Does Sam's Club (for example) have an overall judging coordinator, or will I need to contact the organizers of each individual event.

Go to the event section of KCBS and you will be able to find the events you are interested in along with the contact info to the organizer. The Sam's Club tour has an online signup for both the cooks and the judges and you can read about it here

Look at the schedule, contact organizers and go from there. For Sam's Club judges applied online last year. I suspect it will be the same this year.

Edit...Jorge beat me to the punch! - sorry

Pistolero,

If it's a KCBS judges class you'll be taking, look at the contest schedule in the Bullsheet, or at the KCBS site. You can see which are in either your area, or an area you don't mind traveling to. They generally list the organizers, and a link to their contact info. Generally speaking, the earlier the better to ensure a spot.

some contest websites will have judges applications. you can access them thru the kcbs website. if you interested in judging contests in colorado, new mexico, kansas, nebraska, check out the judges liaison program at http://rmbbqa.org/jlp/ it's a one stop shop for registrations.

Back