Catering for 500! Help!

Shoot, I though Bella Abzug hung her hat up a long time ago but I might be able to help out a bit. prep etc. or whatever.
Send me a pm with details as well.

Knock the socks off of 'em. Can't wait to read your success story! Wish I could be there to help...

Or small ribs :cool:

Lots of ways to do it if you don't have a megahuge cooker...

One example would be to cook a load till they have the right look (color, etc.), then stack in a pan or on the grate, or foil and stack to finish cooking and put on the next load. Remove the first stack and rest when they're ready, then stack the next batch and repeat the process. I'm not afraid to layer. We had beef ribs 3 deep at various points during the big apple bbq block party. Probably had at least 100 racks going at a time.

Matt, I do something similar. Last weekend I cooked 70 slabs on my Lang along with a case of butts. I cooked the ribs, in racks, for 4-5 hours then wrapped in a three pack and froze. Some are going to Harpoon to vend and we'll throw them on the lower rack, once they're heated through well move them to the top rack and sauce them and start to serve. It's mot that hard.

Here's the racks in action

DCC05_15.jpg

Good Luck

We do a company picnic

that has 1200 people. We do it twice a year. It's all about prep and planning. Pulled pork is by far the easiest, but your menu is set so, I would figure as follows;
200# Cooked Meat (people will take seconds, as they are giving their money and will expect plenty of food - just charge accordingly). I get 125# of each side @ 4 ounce servings. Maybe reduce that to 80# each of potato salad and slaw. Most will take beans plus one side.

Regarding chicken, I would plan on 200 thighs, and deduct that weight from your 200# total.

Matt, I do something similar. Last weekend I cooked 70 slabs on my Lang along with a case of butts. I cooked the ribs, in racks, for 4-5 hours then wrapped in a three pack and froze. Some are going to Harpoon to vend and we'll throw them on the lower rack, once they're heated through well move them to the top rack and sauce them and start to serve. It's mot that hard.

Good Luck

that has 1200 people. We do it twice a year. It's all about prep and planning. Pulled pork is by far the easiest, but your menu is set so, I would figure as follows;
200# Cooked Meat (people will take seconds, as they are giving their money and will expect plenty of food - just charge accordingly). I get 125# of each side @ 4 ounce servings. Maybe reduce that to 80# each of potato salad and slaw. Most will take beans plus one side.

Regarding chicken, I would plan on 200 thighs, and deduct that weight from your 200# total.

Thanks Rich, and thanks Jbrink....That is all helpful stuff. The numbers are starting to come together and make more sense. The wife decided she doesn't want to deal with the sides, so we told them they'll have to get them themselves. It's looking like I'll be cooking from Thursday into Friday and have everything hot and ready.

It's gonna be a looooong couple of days.

Sides....

If you want an easy out, we use Reesers brand mustard potato salad in 24# cases, turn out into steam pans and lightly sprinkle with rub. Seem sto go over pretty well. Also, Reesers makes a Texas Poppy Seed Slaw that is good. 16# cases. Both sell for around $.80 a pound. We buy from a local wholesaler. If you need to, keep the cases in big coolers on ice until ready to serve.

Can you pre-cook most of it and just heat b4 serving? Anybody have a pit you can borrow? If not, we've rented a regular charcoal grill inthe past (b4 we bought the new rig), fired in one end and used it like a big warming oven. Cost about $75 a day at the local rental yard. You can cook your beans on it while warming the meat.

I would much rather err on having too much than too little, so the feedback is appreciated.
If her hubby is there all your estimates will be off. He will finish the pork off by himself. Think twice about accepting a cigar if offered :icon_sick

Thankfully, the number expected has been reduced to 300. Should have the deposit check from them on Monday. They are taking care of the sides, so all we have to concentrate on is the meat.

I've made it clear that they do setup and cleanup, drinks, plates, utensils, etc....

Thanks to everyone that has offered to help out. I don't have many details yet, but I will be in touch as soon as I have them.

Thankfully, the number expected has been reduced to 300. Should have the deposit check from them on Monday. They are taking care of the sides, so all we have to concentrate on is the meat.

I've made it clear that they do setup and cleanup, drinks, plates, utensils, etc....

Thanks to everyone that has offered to help out. I don't have many details yet, but I will be in touch as soon as I have them.

I got here late, but good luck with this Matt.

Matt, I am sure you read this before on other posts, be sure they are handling the food safely. With 300 people there will be food setting out for long periods and that can spell disaster. You don't want your product associated with poor food handling and having someone getting sick.

Thanks, Bryan. That has been on my mind. It is one of the most important things we can try to control. We're spending almost every free minute (and some not so free minutes :wink: ) trying to plan this out.

Any and all advice, help, etc....is more than welcome. If we can avoid making mistakes with just a little extra planning, we're all for it.

I would make sure the cold sides are sitting in tubs of ice during serving and to get some disposable chaffing dishes for the beans and meat. The sell them at Sam's and Costco. Fill the bottom pan with water and put the sternos under the water pans and then the serving pans will go on top of the water pans.

Is this a drop and go, or are you staying to serve?

If you are staying to serve just keep in mind that serving temp on hot item should be 140* or higher and that cold temps need to be below 40*. You may want to check with your local health dept. to verify this, because local rules are different. The toughest thing you will find is keeping things hot. If this is served buffet style I would suggest smaller serving dishes and change them more often from the holding containers.

I would make sure the cold sides are sitting in tubs of ice during serving and to get some disposable chaffing dishes for the beans and meat. The sell them at Sam's and Costco. Fill the bottom pan with water and put the sternos under the water pans and then the serving pans will go on top of the water pans.

Is this a drop and go, or are you staying to serve?

If you are staying to serve just keep in mind that serving temp on hot item should be 140* or higher and that cold temps need to be below 40*. You may want to check with your local health dept. to verify this, because local rules are different. The toughest thing you will find is keeping things hot. If this is served buffet style I would suggest smaller serving dishes and change them more often from the holding containers.

Gotcha....

We have the chafers and sterno and hear you on the ice baths for the cold sides. Fortunately there's just two side options to keep an eye on. We will have an extra person, hopefully, keeping an eye on the buffet (replace lids, alert us when we need to refill) and they are supposedly supplying runners to help with the refills, etc....

We plan to have someone to make the pork sandwiches and hand out the ribs. Anything hot that's not in a chafer will be held at temp (even if we have to load up coolers to do it). But I'm bringing copies of info about holding temps, etc....for anyone in the crew that may not have it memorized.....

Most importantly, I plan to try and keep service to 1.5-2 hours max, if possible. Less worry if we can control that timing, I think. No?

Again, all tips are helpful....even if it just jogs my memory or reminds me not to overlook anything.

Back