Catering for 500! Help!

backyardchef

Babbling Farker
Ok, so we were just offered a political fundraiser gig on Aug 3 cooking for 500 people. I'm a little freaked out right now. It is for a presidential candidate but I can't mention her name. :wink:

Chicken, ribs and pork w/ sides and salads. I'm guessing about 90 pounds of raw pork, 125 slabs of ribs and 100+ pounds of chicken-- I haven't figured out that piece-- any suggestions?

Extras...
35 quarts of beans
65 pounds of cole slaw
75 pounds of potato salad.

50 packs of potato rolls
40 pints of sauce

What do you think? This is the largest gig we've ever been offered.....I'm a nervous mess..:icon_smil ..and will need lots of help. Anyone interested? The gig will be far out in Eastern Suffolk on Long Island.....

WOW!...way out of my league brother...but you have my best wishes for you, your crew, AND the "female candidate"!!! :eusa_clap

It's in Long Island? We don't have any brethren from there do we?

Interesting. I'll be wishing you luc, but not the candidate.

Just think how many big contacts you may be able to give cards to.

ok.. call me!

BUT........Do I have to vote for her? :eek:

btw.. your estimates look low on meat.

Ok, so we were just offered a political fundraiser gig on Aug 3 cooking for 500 people. I'm a little freaked out right now. It is for a presidential candidate but I can't mention her name. :wink:

Chicken, ribs and pork w/ sides and salads. I'm guessing about 90 pounds of raw pork, 125 slabs of ribs and 100+ pounds of chicken-- I haven't figured out that piece-- any suggestions?

Extras...
35 quarts of beans
65 pounds of cole slaw
75 pounds of potato salad.

50 packs of potato rolls
40 pints of sauce

What do you think? This is the largest gig we've ever been offered.....I'm a nervous mess..:icon_smil ..and will need lots of help. Anyone interested? The gig will be far out in Eastern Suffolk on Long Island.....

You do mean 90 pounds of cooked pork right ?

Meat sounds fairly decent to me. After all, he is having 3 meats along with the sides. Besides, he isn't new to this thing.

ok.. call me!

BUT........Do I have to vote for her? :eek:

btw.. your estimates look low on meat.

Meat sounds fairly decent to me. After all, he is having 3 meats along with the sides. Besides, he isn't new to this thing.

I'll take any and all advice.....The numbers felt pretty good, but it was a first draft....I'll definitely give it a closer look.

Thanks, Phil.....I'll be calling....

Good luck in Maine, Steve.....wish you could be in both places......

i read it as 90lb raw pork.. which may yield 40-45 lbs. 3-4 people per/lb 120-160 people.

ribs, 3 per slab, 375 people.

chicken 100 lbs? better off by the piece our bird.. u KNOW a bird will yield 8 pieces... but a 50 lb case can be 50 pieces, or 150 pieces depending on sizes.. it cn fluctuate to the point of screwing your numbers.

understood not all wil eat everything, but it still sounds a tad low.

Logistically, how does one cook 125 slabs of ribs? That must be some big smoker.

The amount seems about right, make sure you give yourself enough time. Make sure you have people serving (or they might pile up on food) I don't think it is all you can eat. Don't forget the little things like extra utensiles and plates, make sure you bring your eazy ups, I can't tell you how important they are. Don't worry you guys will do fine. We will all be Q'ing with you in spirit:-D

GOOD LUCK BROTHER

Logistically, how does one cook 125 slabs of ribs? That must be some big smoker.

Or small ribs :cool:

Lots of ways to do it if you don't have a megahuge cooker...

One example would be to cook a load till they have the right look (color, etc.), then stack in a pan or on the grate, or foil and stack to finish cooking and put on the next load. Remove the first stack and rest when they're ready, then stack the next batch and repeat the process. I'm not afraid to layer. We had beef ribs 3 deep at various points during the big apple bbq block party. Probably had at least 100 racks going at a time.

Attachments

• 537754227_355497a0a5.jpg
    537754227_355497a0a5.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 164
Back