THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like it will cost me around $6 for two 2 lb bags of the House Autry chicken breader.

And if I can get my product looking like yours, the $17 shipping cost may just be worth it!

This is what I just did.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSYVRY4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]House Autry Chicken Breader 2 Lbs: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QEMF2HElL.@@AMEPARAM@@41QEMF2HElL[/ame]

I really can't say enough good things about the House Autry line of stuffs....
Here, I'll let y'all in on a family secret....promise not to tell anyone....
this...
HouseAutry_Hushpuppies_WithOnion_Combo-large.jpg

is what we use to make our baked and our fried cornbread and cornpones...shhhhh!!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

on edit...and hushpuppies too...
Chick4.jpg

Last edited:
My old man's from Gastonia.

Barbecue, to us, meant whatever the heck he through on the smoker.

Don't know if that helps with the whole "what is barbecue to Carolinians" debate . . .

Discovered that we have the House Autry brand of chicken & fish batter at my local Krogers. Won't have time to try it out until after we get back from vacation in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info N8man!

Diggin the look of that chicken. I'll have to give that method a try soon, as my first attempt at Kettle Fried Chicken I wasn't happy with (breading fell off the chicken)

That looks pretty good. If House Autry isn't available here, what would be a good substitute?

That's a tough one to answer as I don't have any experiences with anything
else other than seasoned all purpose flour for chicken....Shake and Bake????

Brother Peeps did a chicken cook using House Autry and he's in Denton Texas...you could give him a shout out and ask where he got it....

Perhaps a more knowledgeable Brethren will be by to help answer that.

on edit....Brother Frognot is in Allen Texas and reported that Krogers has it....

House Autry always makes me remember watching Franc White on the "Southern Sportsman" with my Dad in the 70's. House Autry was the major sponsor. Man, I wanted to ride in that airplane.

mi1_849.jpg

He ended every show with “Do yourself a favor, take a kid fishing.”

Hey Carter, man, I loved that show!!! Wonder what ever happened to it and to Franc? Always advertised a wild game restaurant that I got to only once. Now that was television!

I've tried all the ways for making it . . . but this has worked best for me, open the packet of parts, straight into the breader, straight onto the cooker....the chicken as it cooks exudes more than enough fat to allow an even browning of the breader
providing that an adequate temp is maintained throughout the cook, and the end result is crispy, tasty, bite through skin....MMMMMMMMMM!!!

Wow! Simple and easy! What temp and how long??? Can't wait to try it!!!

Back