Capicola Project

UPDATE: 1 week or so in to curing...I have been flipping it and giving it a good rub down daily (tee hee hee)

52595115285_bcbefb08c2_b.jpg

Definitely a different path than I took. I just packed mine in salt for 2 days, wrapped it in collagen sheeting and hung it for 3 months.

I'm sure the result is still going to be much the same.

Definitely a different path than I took. I just packed mine in salt for 2 days, wrapped it in collagen sheeting and hung it for 3 months.

I'm sure the result is still going to be much the same.
Sorta reminds of my ex's uncle's technique. Seasoned the ham, then pressed it (not sure how) before hanging for months...might have been longer than 3 months. Wish I could remember the details.

Sorta reminds of my ex's uncle's technique. Seasoned the ham, then pressed it (not sure how) before hanging for months...might have been longer than 3 months. Wish I could remember the details.

He probably put it in a tubular netting. That gives it the shape. That's what I did.

Im confused, You can't dry age in food saver vacuum bags? You need Dry Age bags.

https://umaidry.com/

Why are you wasting time with wet aging? Just throw that into a dry bags and let it do its thing.

best-sellers
best-sellers

Last edited:
As suds stated, I am not wet aging, I am curing first. In about 5-6 days, I remove, rinse and seal in the umai dry bag provided and let dry for 4-6 weeks or when 35% weight loss occurs for the aging process.

I'm essentially following this procedure...I'd say I'm 83% complete on step 1.
https://umaidry.com/blogs/recipes/2-week-capicola

STEP 1: CURE MEAT
If not using UMAi Dry’s Premixed Curing Salts Blend, weigh out correct ratio of #2 Curing Salt and Kosher salt
Mix salts and seasonings Rub into entire surface of meat.
Tuck into zipper bag or vacuum seal to cure in fridge for 14 days. Turn every couple days to maintain even coverage of cure over the entire surface of the meat.

STEP 2: PREPARE TO DRY
Make sure meat surface is sticky-moist to create best bond with UMAi Dry® membrane.
Coat with any dry curing coating spices and tie to shape - Massage into surface to create the sticky coating needed to bond with membrane. - If making rolled pancetta, roll and tie. Re-moisten surface with water to assist meat to membrane bond

STEP 3: SEALING UMAI DRY
Choose your sealing method, check out our basics page for in-depth instructions

STEP 4: DRYING
Take start weight and record target finish weight. Record both weights on the stickers provided.
Rest the sealed meat in refrigerator on open wire rack in in a modern frost free fridge to ensure excellent air circulation to entire meat surface.
Drying time depends on meat size. Meat should lose 35-40% of Direction Drying time depends on meat size. Meat should lose 35-40% of weight over 30-120 days.

Time to Dry, Umai Bag Style

The 2 week cure is over and time to put in the Umai bag!

My lovely and beautiful wife assisted with rinsing off the cure
52608246549_720bdd6fc1_b.jpg

All clean, lets add Paprika
52608481503_87b185cd7c_b.jpg

Paprika Added, time to tie it up
52608406765_d066b91909_b.jpg

Horrible tie job...bush league...I need to research better ways
52608246589_1f37384261_b.jpg

In the bag with the "mouse" thing and sealing away
52608246579_d2710935d9_b.jpg

Double sealed. It struggled finishing the process (vacuum), but it eventually did
52607484127_0c0d0b2d20_b.jpg

Weighed and Dated
52608406720_11e332a54a_b.jpg

In to the Fridge on a rack to dry for 4-6 weeks..ish. I think I'm shooting for 35% weight loss so I will probably weigh it in a month to see where I am at.
52608246509_c65b358454_b.jpg

I am a bit concerned about the bag seal, but it looks okay. Just cause it's my first go round. Other images and videos showed similar.

Anyway, thanks for looking! Will update in about another month!

I'd weigh it maybe every week or so after week 2 or 3, it may wind up finishing quicker than you expect it to. I did mine in an upright freezer that I had a dehumidifier and humidifier linked to a controller, along with a temp controller. It took me right at 2 months in a higher temp, higher humidity environment than what your typical residential fridge storing food is going to be. You can always dry it out longer, but you can't un-dry it!

Looking good :thumb:

I'd weigh it maybe every week or so after week 2 or 3, it may wind up finishing quicker than you expect it to. I did mine in an upright freezer that I had a dehumidifier and humidifier linked to a controller, along with a temp controller. It took me right at 2 months in a higher temp, higher humidity environment than what your typical residential fridge storing food is going to be. You can always dry it out longer, but you can't un-dry it!

Looking good :thumb:

Thanks Suds! I was hoping you'd chime in with some input! I was thinking about weighing every week just to see how it goes anyway, so thanks for that.

One song that is on one of the shows my kids watch is "you can't un-toast the toast" I suppose the same applies for dried meats...you can't un-dry the capicola. :roll:

Last time I did one, a little smaller than yours, I think about 1kg going in, it hit 38% loss at just a couple days over a month. I would definitely start checking a bit sooner.

The early weight loss goes the quickest. As you get closer to 30% it will slow down and the last 5% takes a while. At least thats the way it works for me in a Temp and humidity controlled chamber. Just be paitient.

Be sure and slice very thin and enjoy!

The early weight loss goes the quickest. As you get closer to 30% it will slow down and the last 5% takes a while. At least thats the way it works for me in a Temp and humidity controlled chamber. Just be paitient.

Be sure and slice very thin and enjoy!

Thanks for the tip! As others mentioned, I’m just gonna check once a week or so. I was worried I didn’t seal the dry bag right but it looks good and the meat is surely firming up now.

Wow I can't believe it's been a month since last update. Well, I kept weighing weekly. REALLY hoping it was ready for the superb owl....but alas, it was shy. Just weighed in today and FINALLY hit 35% mark! I am going to let it dry until the weekend, then the big reveal and slicing. Little before and after

52608406720_11e332a54a_b.jpg

52705276238_59e35b5d5f_b.jpg

Back