Camping BBQs

I've had a Smokey Joe Silver for many years as my camping & fishing cooker. And I've modified it so I can use it as a grill and a smoker. I'm using the basic kettle option for the Kettle Cook-Off Throwdown, and so far :rolleyes: have two cooks threads.... so you can what they are capable of. Thread 1 Thread 2

For grilling I prefer using it on a table because you are tending it more often. For smoking, I did the tamale pot modification and sitting it on the ground is okay.

2qQbujI.jpg

DSC02309aa.jpg

I burn both lump and briquettes. If you use the snake method, you can get about 6 hours of burn time..I also made a large charcoal basket, and a smaller ring. This gives you higher temps, decent burn times and to add charcoal just lift the tamale pot off the base, the raised cooking grate in higher in the tamale pot.

zIUbbii.jpg

DSC02295.jpg

I also have a drip pan / heat deflector for when I'm smoking. Or will lay down some foil on the upper rack.

DSC02303a.jpg

lXcn4kL.jpg

Here is my set-up for cheese, I use a sawdust smoke generator.

0Jagd6v.jpg

I just ordered two deep dish pizza pans and plan on replacing the ash tray, these have 1" sides and should contain hotties better on a windy day.

I really like the look of that ASF table top model. I'm currently deciding between that and the Cuisinart Lifter one. I want small, portable, and easy access to the coals. I also prefer rectangular grates. Decisions, decisions...

I really like the look of that ASF table top model. I'm currently deciding between that and the Cuisinart Lifter one. I want small, portable, and easy access to the coals. I also prefer rectangular grates. Decisions, decisions...

FYI

ASF:
The length is 21 inches,
width 13 inches
height is 17 inches
weight is 26lbs.

Of those you mention I like the smokey Joe. Have you considered the akorn jr? I'm waiting for my 2nd one to arrive from Amazon my 1st 1 lasted a solid 6 years period of abuse The kind of use you describe if kept clean it should last indefinitely And should handle your needs very well. Give it a thought.

I used to have an older 14" smokey joe and the drafting on it is really bad. I now have an 18" version which is way better.

So the day you posted your question about Camping Grills I decided to check Craigslist. Guess what I found? A WGA for $10 in great condition. I picked it up on Saturday and fired it up today. Significantly better than a 14" Joe in my opinion. And I like the profile a lot better for packing away on a camping trip.

Back