Another what to buy thread! Kamodo vs pellet smoker vs WSM

rufio

Knows what a fatty is.
So I've recently come into a bit of money and looking to treat myself to a nice smoker. Currently just using a weber performer kettle, but looking to get something that will make cooking low n' slow a bit easier and more hands off (The seal on my kettle isn't great, and wind plays havoc with temp fluctuations as a result).

Anyway, I'm boiling it down to a few different options.

1) Trager Bronson 20 - pellet cooker
https://gobbqco.com/shop/traeger/traeger-bronson-20-black/

I was originally going to go with the pro 34 as there was a great offer, but it's just too big for my BBQ area.

2) https://gobbqco.com/shop/proq/proq-excel-20-elite/ - seems like a WSM imitation
Good reviews from what I can see and a decent price.

3) https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6946/18-inch-kamado-free-standing/

18 inch kamado is the third option, while i'm tempted, I feel that I'll still have the kettle for straight up grilling am I missing a trick?

Also open to any other suggestions but I am based in Ireland so it limit's options somewhat.

All input is greatly appreciated.

All good cookers, but the kamado is probably the most versatile. I’ve owned three of them (still have two). You can easily do low and slow, but you also have the option for quick sear. With the right accessories, you can do zone cooking & reverse sear. Crank the temp up and you have a pizza oven. The stick burner guys have a legitimate point about the smoke flavor of a kamado. It’s a good flavor, but definitely different from a wood fire. What’s the availability of lump charcoal in Ireland? You’ll not want to use the regular briquettes in a Kamado. There are countless kamado videos on youtube for research. Good luck & Slainte’!!!

You need to try some food from a pellet grill before you buy 1. the smoke profile is lighter than charcoal/stick burners and some folks don't like that, I have a pitboss that works well other than the lighter smoke. its a trade off imo for set and forget/hands off till time to eat. I would never trade off any of my smokers and settle for just 1. a weber 22" smoker or clone is what I would like to own at some point. A ceramic grill don't interest me as doing much better than a weber grill besides holding temps better due to the thickness of the unit. Lot of choices and without taste testing I'd be hard pressed to decide lol

The Kamado definitely doesn’t have the flavor of a stick burner (I have both) or a pellet (have used but don’t own). In terms of smoke flavor quality I would rank them Stick > pellet > kamado. I think the amount of smoke from pellet grills carries with brand/model and also how you run it, so do some research.

The Kamado wins for winter cooking and that is the reason I bought it. It is actually a great grill, and an OK smoker, OK pizza oven.

I prefer the Kamado as a grill to a same size Weber kettle due to the greater vertical height and better temp control. With a raised grate, you can put fatty meats high enough over the coals that flare ups are not an issue (additional accessories needed) and with the lid closed, the lower airflow of the Kamado keeps the flames under control anyway. If size is not a factor, the 37” Weber Ranch is a better grill than any 18-24” Kamado.

For smoking, it is critical to use heat deflectors and a drip pan so the dripping fats do not hit the fire. Burning fat doesn’t have the best smoke flavor, and with a low and slow cook the air vents are shut way down and will hold that smoke inside with your meat for too long. The low airflow also means you need to find the right balance of adding wood chunks to get flavor without too much smolder, and it is important that they are very well seasoned if not kiln dried. A good pellet smoker is more straightforward and easier to use out of the box without a bunch of accessories, but won’t do as well when it get cold and the wind is blowing.

All good cookers, but the kamado is probably the most versatile. I’ve owned three of them (still have two). You can easily do low and slow, but you also have the option for quick sear. With the right accessories, you can do zone cooking & reverse sear. Crank the temp up and you have a pizza oven. The stick burner guys have a legitimate point about the smoke flavor of a kamado. It’s a good flavor, but definitely different from a wood fire. What’s the availability of lump charcoal in Ireland? You’ll not want to use the regular briquettes in a Kamado. There are countless kamado videos on youtube for research. Good luck & Slainte’!!!

Thanks for the input guys, lump charcoal is available but the good stuff isn't cheap.

I think i'm edging towards the ProQ Excel, I plan on hanging on to the Weber Kettle also, so will be a good compliment I feel.

Remember that you can re-use the left over lump, unlike briquettes. Do you plan to cook during the winter? Do you like set it & forget it cooking? Do you like more smoke vs a lighter smoke? Will the cooker stay on your patio/deck/back yard? Or do you plan to move it around, take it to a mate's house or a park to cook? All things to consider, as all three cookers are a bit different.

If pellet grills are still one of your choices, you should look at Grilla grills. Solid stainless construction and great customer service.

If wind is giving you a problem with your kettle then I would advise against a kamado. Kamado's are great but if you've got a heavy cross wind that's going to make it very hard to keep your temps where you want them.

While I'm not a fan of pellet cookers I can certainly see why people love them so much. The great thing is the controller which will do the work for you, and that's actually a pretty good feature. Pellet smoke is light but if you want a bit more smoke you can always grab a pellet tube and smolder some pellets to give you a heavier smoke flavor.

I think the wind will give you problems as well with the Pro Excel Q because the whole concept of those charcoal cookers is that by manipulating the vents you're controlling the airflow and therefore the size of the fire. If the wind is blowing into your vents then you're losing that control and you'll end up with out of control temps. I live just a few miles from the ocean and the wind out here makes it almost impossible to control temps using just vents.

If you're deadset on a kamado or the WSM imitation cooker (both good looking cookers to be honest), then you can spend a bit more money on a fan control system like the Cyber Q. These systems plug the bottom vent with a fan, and therefore the only air coming into the bottom intake will be from the fan. These systems allow for incredible temperature control even in windy conditions.

Good luck!

Remember that you can re-use the left over lump, unlike briquettes. Do you plan to cook during the winter? Do you like set it & forget it cooking? Do you like more smoke vs a lighter smoke? Will the cooker stay on your patio/deck/back yard? Or do you plan to move it around, take it to a mate's house or a park to cook? All things to consider, as all three cookers are a bit different.

I have been reusing briquettes for well over 30 years by shutting all the vents and smothering it out, never seen anybody say they couldn't reuse, what issue do you have? maybe I have had a problem and not realized it :shocked::doh:

Back