California Dreaming

I've never eaten there, but there is that Central Texas BBQ in Castroville, anybody ever tried it?

I did the Central Texan in Castroville, they even catered a company lunch at a place I worked at in Salinas. It was OK, I wouldn't go out of my way for it again.

I grew up in Monterey,worked at a place that tried to do BBQ downtown many years ago. Nice try but it failed, nobody knew the difference between Memphis and KC. I live in Napa now and there's a place here that got voted best BBQ west of the Mississippi in some magazine. What a joke, I think they got it because of their sauce. I make sauces for a living and I throw away better sauces than theirs.

I second Great American BBQ in Alameda, Harry does a great job there and is a big supporter of BBQ in California.

I know the Napa place you refer to, not sure who voted for them or how you can make that judgment. It certainly would not be my choice.

CA just doesn't have the bbq culture that some states have. But a lot of people in CA are transplants from all over the US so when they smell good que they go nuts, takes em back home.

Actually California has several BBQ traditions that aren't found elsewhere. The kind of tri tip smoke-grilled in the Central Valley region is a modern one and obviously still very popular across the state.
The Basque earth pit barbecue near Bakersfield is centered on mutton and very localized to that area. You can still find public parks with brick pits built into the ground that people use for parties.

There's an even older earth pit beef barbecue that the Californio rancheros used to practice in the 18th century. A little writeup here: http://professorsalt.com/2007/07/24/how-i-know-my-bbq-from-a-hole-in-the-ground/

I cant understand it. BBQ here is outstanding. Only problem we really have is the cooking wood supply, is near non existent. But, we here in Cali. have first rate BBQ. We are ingenious in that we have developed excellent natural gas cooking skills. We just turn up that gas flame and the char gives great down home BBQ flavor. You can even reproduce a great wofting aroma with enough flame ....Family, friends and neighbors love it.

There is some sorry ass bbq in San Diego... Which is why, im taking over. I spent many years on the Central Coast in the 90s and have first hand experience with Santa Maria Tri-Tip... I have cultivated my own, dubbed San Diego Tri Tip and a lot of people are digging it.

Ca is very umm, open minded and trendy. This is why, Que isnt as popular here. People rather eat Giraffe tongue because some LA french restaurant sells it for $140 a plate.

There is some sorry ass bbq in San Diego... Which is why, im taking over. cultivated my own, dubbed San Diego Tri Tip and a lot of people are digging it.

Ca is very umm, open minded and trendy. Que isnt as popular here. People rather eat Giraffe tongue because some LA french restaurant sells it for $140 a plate.

Preach it bro. Dont forget the pate' of hummingbird tongue.

Probably the "busy busy" lifestyle people adopt here, applies to food that takes a long time to make. I love Santa Maria tri-tip, I've had really great luck with the last couple of times I've done a tri-tip roast, extremely juicy and tender. I usually do: sear on the grill, oven till 140 internal, rest in foil for 10 minutes. I might try a reverse sear next time. I just need to get a decent electronic meat thermometer to use on the 'que then can do it all on there, I'm paranoid about ruining a nice cut of meat and feel compelled to know the temps, noobie weakness I suppose.

I've never eaten there, but there is that Central Texas BBQ in Castroville, anybody ever tried it?

When we lived in S.F. we would always stop there when in the neighborhood. Was 15 years ago so can't speak for present quality.

Probably the "busy busy" lifestyle people adopt here, applies to food that takes a long time to make. I love Santa Maria tri-tip, I've had really great luck with the last couple of times I've done a tri-tip roast, extremely juicy and tender. I usually do: sear on the grill, oven till 140 internal, rest in foil for 10 minutes. I might try a reverse sear next time. I just need to get a decent electronic meat thermometer to use on the 'que then can do it all on there, I'm paranoid about ruining a nice cut of meat and feel compelled to know the temps, noobie weakness I suppose.

You need to invest in a thermapen, seriously... best $90 you will ever spend for gathering quick temps. Also, a few Maverick wireless units will help you tremendously for keeping an eye on that meat without having to open any doors. I got 6 probes and 3 units that ive picked up on Amazon(mavericks) for pittens.

I smoke my tri-tip real low for a few hours. Around 130ish, i pull and reverse sear on the grill. Let it rest for 20 mins and slice.

I happen to go d great giraffe tongue, 225F over bubinga wood, 6 to 7 hours, peel and slice. Most tender thing you ever ate.

Professor Salt, excellent write-up on the Norteno tradition of cooking.

In all seriousness, the biggest problem facing a CA bbq joint is keeping the meat servable against a market that does not put a premium on smoked meats. Most of the places I eat at regularly have to carefully consider how to cook everyday to keep meat fresh. Some do not, they regularly cook and vacuum pack their meats to avoid losing meat to overhead. It is a real challenge to build enough market, especially since right now, there are loads of BBQ places opening up over the past 5 years that all bite into the market.

I eat wonderful BBQ daily

We could argue Texas VS California in many areas.

Anyone that rationalizes that there is no good BBQ in a whole state-is probably not worth arguing with.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

We found a good BBQ place in Temecula a few months ago. They even built their own smoker. It's called A Touch of Soul. Just south of Old Town. The address is
28970 Front Street Old Town Temecula.

Actually California has several BBQ traditions that aren't found elsewhere. The kind of tri tip smoke-grilled in the Central Valley region is a modern one and obviously still very popular across the state.
The Basque earth pit barbecue near Bakersfield is centered on mutton and very localized to that area. You can still find public parks with brick pits built into the ground that people use for parties.

There's an even older earth pit beef barbecue that the Californio rancheros used to practice in the 18th century. A little writeup here: http://professorsalt.com/2007/07/24/how-i-know-my-bbq-from-a-hole-in-the-ground/

I agree there is a lot of BBQ tradition in CA that gets overlooked by all of the other distractions that CA seems to offer the rest of the country. When people think CA they think palm trees and movie stars. I used to live in Colorado and people think all CA is is L.A.. We have tons of BBQ tradition here, mention tri tip and my mouth waters. I was just in Santa Maria over the weekend for a comp, lots of BBQ in that town. I know where to retire to someday. Sadly it's the culture that has choked out the tradition. Convenient and organic rule the day out here. Except at my house!

BTW as I was typing this Travel channel just showed a place in Buellton, Ca that serves some pretty good que according to the show. Same place that was in the movie Sideways. Look up "The Hitching Post".

"I'M NOT DRINKING FARKING MERLOT!" Great movie.

Or you could always use the finger doneness check. I bypass the thermometer for steaks and tri-tips. Poke it and when it feels right, eat it. I use the reverse sear for my tri-tips as well.

I've never had good Q in California but I rarely give any of it a shot because I know most of it will suck.

I live in Riverside but I am constantly in LA or San Diego and all over So Cal, really. Where are the best joints? I will travel for some good food. I don't get up north at all but I am always willing to make a little weekend trek.
Some of the best I've had has been at Bobby Ray's in San Bernardino on Baseline..it's in the ghetto but it's pretty dam good for California..if you go you have to try the boudin..killer!

Back