Calf fry/ Mountain Oyster recipes anyone?

Cowgirl, LOVED your method of making the cracker crumbs!
If I do the same, I'll be sure to get pics! My buddy and I have been exchanging adolescent puns via text since I got home with these things.
Some of the utubes mentioned parboiling them prior to skinning and slicing. Do you have an opinion on this?
Thanks,
Terry

Cowgirl, LOVED your method of making the cracker crumbs!
If I do the same, I'll be sure to get pics! My buddy and I have been exchanging adolescent puns via text since I got home with these things.
Some of the utubes mentioned parboiling them prior to skinning and slicing. Do you have an opinion on this?
Thanks,
Terry
lol Thanks Terry! I like to have fun while cooking. :grin:
I can imagine the texts you two have shared. :laugh:

The easiest way to work with them is frozen or partially frozen. Once thawed, they are about like jelly. I peel and slice them, then place them onto a plate and then back into the freezer til ready to bread and fry.
Hope you take pics! :-D

forgot to say....
To thaw, I place them into a bowl of water. As soon as the outer membrane feels soft to the touch, slice around the fry in the center and peel back. They thaw fast. Good luck!

The first annual testicle festival was a hit!
All of the advise was spot on and we picked up a few things as we went along as well.
Skinning and slicing them in the nearly frozen state seems to be a must.
We went with saltine cracker crumbs as suggested by Cowgirl. My wife used the food processor instead of my pickup truck to turn the crackers into crumbs though. Not nearly as much fun.
We learned after the first 4 slices came out of the fryer, that we should have sliced them thinner. We cut them in half after the first batch.
We ate them as fast as we could fry them. My wife even liked them and she's as finicky an eater as I've ever met. Even my friend's 6 year old liked them.
The only "person" who wouldn't eat them was the Shepard puppy!
We all agreed that the taste and texture was somewhere between chicken livers and chicken gizzards.
We will certainly be doing these again!
Oh, and we had some brisket, too.
The shop where I bought them also has sweetbreads, brains, trotters, tongues and a few other delicacies available.
It's going to be an interesting fall as I try a lot of new-to-me food items!
I'll be sure to post them as well.
Thanks for all of the help folks!
Terry

Last edited:
Ya did good! Next up try the turkey nuts. Like Cowgirl mentioned about the pig nuts they butterfly easier when they still are partially frozen. You don't skin turkey nuts, just cut off any cords still attached. They are pretty easy to find here in the Midwest where there are turkey farms everywhere. Some are the size of chicken eggs! Damn good eatin! Some of our friends swore they couldn't eat them but once they finally tried them they love them.

^^^Amen to the turkey fries! ^^^
Turkey fries to calf fries are like quail are to dove. They're both good eating, but turkey fries are like "fine dining"!

Thanks jpbsarris and mikemci!
I'll have to track some down. We do have a turkey farm nearby, not sure what becomes of the parts not used for Thanksgiving dinner! Hate to think of them going to waste!

:wacko::mmph::shocked:

:laugh: Every so often you run across a "fry" from an old bull....not a regular bull fry, not a calf fry, but an OLD tough bull fry. We refer to them as "Rodeo Stock Grade". :laugh:
Peel, slice and tenderize.... it's the only way to ensure they are edible. :thumb:

:laugh: Every so often you run across a "fry" from an old bull....not a regular bull fry, not a calf fry, but an OLD tough bull fry. We refer to them as "Rodeo Stock Grade". :laugh:
Peel, slice and tenderize.... it's the only way to ensure they are edible. :thumb:

Cut ‘em young like you should and you never end up with “Rodeo Stock Syndrome.”

Plus if you have your calving season managed right you have a hell of a batch of mountain oysters. :)

PM me - I’ll hook an Okie gal up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cut ‘em young like you should and you never end up with “Rodeo Stock Syndrome.”

Plus if you have your calving season managed right you have a hell of a batch of mountain oysters. :)

PM me - I’ll hook an Okie gal up.

Very kind of you Kevin! :grin:
I raise Black Angus and get all the calf fries I need. Neighbor ranchers raise Red Angus, and one friend raises Corriente and Longhorns.
It's work but I love the lifestyle. :thumb:

Very kind of you Kevin! :grin:

I raise Black Angus and get all the calf fries I need. Neighbor ranchers raise Red Angus, and one friend raises Corriente and Longhorns.

It's work but I love the lifestyle. :thumb:

That’s how I grew up. Lots of hours in the bull bottom... left and darn if I didn’t come back. Glad to hear that you have the black cow. We were all Angus as a kid. Now I have some black baldies too.

Don’t tell my family but I’ve kinda developed a taste for pork!

Back