Calf fry/ Mountain Oyster recipes anyone?

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Terry
My good friend and BBQ compadre just invited us for brisket at his house on Saturday.
I asked what I could bring and he mentioned that we have been threatening to cook some testicles for quite a while now.
Looks like this is the time. Neither of us have cooked them before. He and his wife are adventurous eaters, as I am. My wife, not so much.
So, has anyone here tackled them, and if so, would you care to share your recipes?
Much appreciated!
Terry

Eagerly awaiting a report back on this. Never tried them myself.

But there's only one way to find out. You'll just have to grab it by the b*lls and give the recipe a try! :biggrin1:

Pretty easy...
Shortening (or oil), corn meal (yellow), eggs, salt, & pepper. Depending on the size, cut ‘em up (quarter), bread ‘em , fry ‘em, eat ‘em.

As a boy, my Grandpa would make a few “chef’s rewards” right beside the corral. You’ll love ‘em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'll check out Cowgirl's site. I was on there earlier today checking out some of her cooks. Amazing!
I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.
Thanks All!

Cut them in bite sized pieces, batter in your favorite batter recipe, and fry those bad boys. I love calf fries with pepper gravy. We always do a batch anytime the fryer is going.

Also, if you've never cleaned them before, find a video on YouTube or something. And clean them half frozen or fully frozen, it will make life easier

As mentioned above,cleaning is key, make sure to remove the outer sinew.Small ones(calf) can be fried whole,but cut a slit in them.Larger ones need to be sliced or cubed down to a "nugget" size.We soak them in a buttermilk and hot sauce mixture,toss in a favorite fish fry breading and deep fry.Go for it and share some pics.Above advice is spot on.You will not go wrong following Cowgirl's lead.

Thanks for all of the advice!
Seems the main thing is skinning them and keeping the pieces in the bite sized range.
Jeanie, thanks for the link, I'm off to check it out now.
I'll be sure to post pictures along the way!
The biggest hurdle will be finding them in Peoria on short notice, but I'm 90% sure one of our top butcher shops keeps them on hand.
Thanks Again folks!
Terry

Scored some pork mountain oysters. I'm assuming no difference in prep from the beef.
Picked up some North Coast Brewing Russian Imperial Stout too.
Good brew, probably should have waited a little longer before cracking the first one though!
Should be enough for an appetizer anyway.
More pics to follow tomorrow!

Last edited:
We fry turkey testicles several times a year. I think they are better than calf or pig. Just butterfly them and soak in buttermilk for a while and then drag them in your favorite dry breading. Fry them in oil at about 350 until they brown up. Don't over cook or they get chewy. We have parties and fry up at least 20 lbs. They go fast.

We fry turkey testicles several times a year. I think they are better than calf or pig. Just butterfly them and soak in buttermilk for a while and then drag them in your favorite dry breading. Fry them in oil at about 350 until they brown up. Don't over cook or they get chewy. We have parties and fry up at least 20 lbs. They go fast.

I like those too! Have some in the freezer. :grin:

Back