THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Hand

Found some matches.
I have just bought the Cajun Bandit kit for my Weber 22.5" grill. Have used it twice. Once with chicken legs and thighs and the 2d time with 2 pork shoulders. The shoulders cooked for a total of 7 hrs, wrapped in tin foil for the last 2 hours.

Toward the end of the cook I lost heat and had to add more charcoal. I guess when they say use a full load of charcoal it means to fill it until the coals spill out of the rack. Is adding coal after 7 hours common?

I am buying the Maverick ET 732. It comes with a 3' temp line, but there are 6' lines available. Can you use the 6' line in either port (meat or cooker)?

I am new to smoker cooking, but have been on Weber kettle's since 1970.
Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Yes it's best to start out with a full load of charcoal when you're looking at an extended cook. I always give the legs a couple of taps several hours into the cook to knock off the ash build up. This goes for both my Cajun Bandit and my WSM.

I did two pork butts (9+ pounds each) for my family's annual 4th-of-July picnic and the cook ran about the same time as yours. The Bandit ran a bit hot, about 285-300 or so, and I didn't have to add any charcoal.

This was my ring when I started and I added about 30 lit coals for a Minion start, and a couple of pieces of wood: apple and hickory.

I should add that I run my bandit dry with just a foiled water pan. I also foiled the butts around the 165-degree internal point.

Because it was running hot, I tended to keep the vents almost fully closed through the cook. I do the taps as J'ville noted, and also clear the ash once in a while by opening and closing the vents a couple of times.

Here they are about 4 hours in, just before foiling:

I think the Maverick will be a great addition and that's what I used to track my temps. I believe I read somewhere that the 6' line will work in either port, but I can't remember where that was.

Keep at it; you'll get it. BTW, how did the shoulders turn out? This is what I ended up with and if I had happened to need more coals, so be it! :)

I use the Cajun Bandit stacker on my OTG 22.5 with a charcoal ring and heat deflector. The end result is very similar to a WSM just shorter height.

I don't use minion - I build a fuse setup and can get 8-10hrs out of a thin "snake" of coals with proper vent management at 265 degrees.

I think the minion method is awesome, but you can end up with a whole lot of lit coals, which can lead to a runaway fire and a hard battle to keep temps down.

Give the fuse a try - I think you'll like the efficiency.

Thanks, BB!

I've been thinking about trying that. You've described pretty much exactly what happens when I run the Bandit using the minion method. I don't mind hotter temps but I don't really like breaking the 300-degree mark.

I'll be trying the 'fuse' method this weekend.

Thanks again!

Back